1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can't loosen the truss rod any further...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by StuFordBass, Sep 18, 2010.

1. I went to play my MM Sabre today, and found the neck way too straight. I loosened the truss rod 1/4th turn and had a little better of a situation, but the neck was still to straight. another turn, and i found the nut or whatever part you stick the allen wrench into to be loose. So i have the problem of not being able to loosen my truss rod anymore without the thing just coming off the truss rod. I wish i knew what that part was called.

Can someone explain to me how to remedy this?

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Wait until tomorrow, take another look at it.

3. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    If waiting doesn't work, get heavier gauge strings.

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Things I'd do, in this order are...

1 - Wait 1 day and see if the changes you made had any effect.

2 - If not, tighten up the strings already on the instrument, but tune each one up a whole step. Make sure the truss rod nut is loose.

3 - Wait 1 day and see if that put some relief into the neck. If it did, you might be good to go. If not...

4 - Either let the instrument sit with the up-tuned strings for another day, or take it to your local shop.

Putting on heavier gauge strings is definitely an option to help the process along, but... the slots in the nut might not be large enough to accommodate the larger gauge which means you might have to add opening the slots to the overall process.

5. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Switch to the next heavier gauge strings (for example, Light to Med Light) or same gauge strings with higher tension at pitch. The strings should be the same diameter as those being replaced. You will still need to do a setup with intonation.

There's a lot of useful info on string tension in this TB thread;
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9200905#post9200905

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021