Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cant make up my mind

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickenbacker, Feb 2, 2005.

1. patrickenbacker

patrickenbacker

Feb 2, 2005
    Hi! I've been playing for about a year now. I have a dilemma. I have a $400-$450 budget and I need to decide what bass to buy-my squire p-bass is broken and I wanted to get a new bass anyway, which is good i guess, but I need one quickly, because I am in a band and having my bass going berserk during the middle of practice is no fun. I play mostly Metallica (I prefer the Cliff Burton tone). I have done some research and have come up with these possible choices: Aria IGB/50, Epiphone Thunderbird IV, and Fender MIM jazz...however, these are just the main choices, if you have any better suggestions, or a comment on these, I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    If you are gonna aim at the MIM jazz, I must say CHECK OUT THE SX BASSES.

I got the Jazz QMD on there and it came perfect, only slight problem with it is well, the hum that you get with jazz pickups....But buy the bass, spend more on pickups or whatever you want...

3. NINO3000

NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    I second that idea I just tried the SX bass yesterday and it does sound alot better than my MIM jazz fender. and its alot cheaper too. You would really be able to nail that tone that your looking for. and you would only spend half your budget even with new pickups.

4. patrickenbacker

patrickenbacker

Feb 2, 2005
    Actually, I wasnt aiming for the MIM jazz-I would really rather have the Aria or Epi before that.

5. NINO3000

NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    The reason why I singled out the MIM jazz is because in my opinion it the best of what you selected. Those other two have really thin sounding tones. Im pretty sure if you got one of those you would end up wanting something better soon.

6. patrickenbacker

patrickenbacker

Feb 2, 2005
    So this sx bass...could I get some details? Who makes it, etc.?

7. patrickenbacker

patrickenbacker

Feb 2, 2005
    wups, nevermind. haha sorry im an idiot.