1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Can't, my other half would kill me" ??????

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bongokid, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Bongokid

Bongokid

Sep 28, 2011
    Los Angeles
    "Can't, my other half would kill me"
    LOL, I hate the phrase. A grown man who "can't" do something because his wife/girlfriend won't let them sounds like some cry baby stuff right there:crying: Might as well get a car seat for your butt cause you in the backseat!:scowl:
    Rant over.

2. You married?

3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Actually, the "manly" thing to do is to consider your significant other. That's part of what being a "grown" man is.

4. You'll learn...

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Probably not domesticated. :D

6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Ayuh.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    There are things I can't do because of the relationship with my wife. The thing is, I agreed to that part of the deal when I got married. I'm not less of a man. It's actually made me a better man.

I have a son who is 23. He's not willing to make those concessions at this point in his life, so he has wisely chosen to remain single.

-Mike

8. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    Depends on what the "something" is the man can't do. For example, my wife won't let me sleep with our hot neighbor. I don't think she's being unreasonable. I don't agree with her, but she's not unreasonable. :smug:

9. Yup. ;)

10. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    My fiance has been extremely supportive, and in some cases actually talked me INTO doing something as opposed to talking me out of it or telling me no. However, sometimes the right thing to do is to NOT buy or do something. Like others have said, it's the responsible thing (such as in my case, we're saving for a wedding...putting that off because I just want another bass is irresponsible and unnecessary). A marriage, or any relationship for that matter, is not a one way street. It's not just about us and what we want.

11. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I think most men (myself included) use that saying to cover up that they just can not justify it or really want to do it.

I have used it when I really didn't have the money to buy something or go somewhere.
    It is just a way of saving face.

12. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Some people love other people and care about their feelings.

13. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If you're working as a team and you're undermining the team, of course the other half will get upset. I try and be respectful to my partner because that's how I want her to treat me. If that means not making huge selfish impulse buys that upend our budget, I don't see how that's not reasonable. The phrasing can be a little melodramatic, but the intention is still fair IMO.

EDIT:

...and this too.

14. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    This is what my wife told me to say too!

The big difference between being single, and being in a relationship is taking someone else's feelings and opinions into consideration.

That being said, I am the man of the house! Right up until she walks in the door.

15. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I mean, it goes both ways. If you had something you really liked, maybe a $4000 custom bass or maybe a vintage bass of the value of $4000, and then you come home and it's missing. You ask your wife and she says her friend recommended that she sell it in order to buy a $1000 purse, $600 wallet, and $2400 in shoes and clothes. And so she took her advice. :crying: :rolleyes: :confused: You're not going to kill her, but the sentiment might be there.

16. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I would assume all men from this post henceforth who +1 it also never look at other women....ever.

That's what considering a significant other entails.

17. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    OP - as a business owner I've found "my wife won't let me" is code-word for something else. For example, it sometimes means, "I can't afford buying it/keeping it but it's easier to make up a *nudge nudge* excuse".

18. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    I never understood it either. Until I got married. :)

19. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Once one has plucked the fairest rose in the garden, he may admire the stocks of others.

20. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Of course not, men will always look, but there's a spectrum:

• looking
    • staring
    • staring and making cat calls
    • staring and telling your partner what body parts are more attractive
    • asking for a phone number
    • asking for a threesome with your partner
    • asking for a threesome without your partner
    • having a tryst
    • bragging to your wife about it
    • bragging to your wife's friends and family about it
    • etc.

While most of the list is inappropriate, I think that most women will accept that men do look at other women.