Can't play a good show

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Piezoman, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    One time, we were doin a show. We werent too good. Our guitarist did not help. In the middle of our best song(Was pretty good) The drummer stopped cuz his floor tom slid all the way across the floor!!!!!

Then, the guitarist stopped because he made up a new song on the spot. It did sound good when he was done. By then we only had 3 minutes left. Only got five songs off. We got seriously booed. Is that how you spell it

It sounds stupid. I quit after that. Anyone have an experiece any bit similair to that?
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  3. That floor tom think was pretty funny...?:confused:
  4. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Rule #1
    Never stop playing in the middle of a song unless someone in your band is dying! And even then think twice about it.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Rule #2
    When in doubt, refer to rule #1
  6. dear god... is this truly a talkbass post or harmony central fodder...?
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

PS. Rule #3 is: Never stop playing, even if someone's dying. If someone attacks you physically during the song, that's no grounds for stopping. The proper thing to do is to swing a supressive blow with your bass' butt end while simultaneously tapping a graceful lick.

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    So the guitarists made up a new song or forgot the original one, either way that has got to suck.
  9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hehe. Last show a girl stumbled on my floor monitor and fell backwards ass down on my pedal board, clipping the mik stand as she fell. The mike stand hit me over the shoulder. Once she crawled off I had to support the mik stand with my foot until the song was over and I could rearrange all the gear on the floor. I got applause from our drummer who saw the whole mess. Wouldn't dream of hitting a girl with my bass though. :D
  10. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    At one of my gigs a crazed war veteran attacked me and started to scream "Charlie's trying to brainwash us!" but noone beleived him, which proves one thing, if your trying to make a statement, wear pants.:)
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  12. Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Kinda similar....

I was still in High School and the band I was in was playing at a party. They had us set-up in the dining room and the floor was tiled. The bass drum kept scooting away from the drummer while he was playing. I eventually stood there with my foot against it until someone handed us a cinderblock to put in front of it.

The drunks loved us anyway....I hate playing parties.
  13. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Normally, I'd say that drugs and gigs don't mix, but a round of Ritalin might be in order in this case... ;)
  14. small sandbags work good to keep a drum set from sliding around on a slippy floor.

and playing parties is good and bad. its good, because no matter how bad you play, everyone will love you. but bad, because drunks have no respect for equipment, and think they are amazing musicians and steal things. some drunk asked if he could play my BTB 406, and then got pissed off when i rejected him.
  15. Ranthony

Nov 30, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I was invited to a jam session several weeks ago. To get in free, you needed only to have an instrument under your arm. After the band played it's first set, they announced that anyone wanting to play could join them for the second set on stage. Tha bands Bassist was very good, and I looked forward to trading notes with him. Another Bassist joined us on stage shortly after. I don't know where this third guy came from, but we unplugged him after the second song. He didn't even realize that we had pulled his plug. He jumped around the stage, threw is hands up in the air, like he was turning it out. He didn't even realize that what he thought he was playing, was the group bassist and myself trading licks. The group bassist liked what I was doing at a particular point during one song, and stopped playing, told me to take it home. The third guy was still jumping around playing air. Afterwards, we realized that this guy was drunk as a skunk.
  16. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    We played a gig a couple of years ago where a whole band we knew was in the audience. They asked to borrow our gear during a break to play two songs only. I didn't really want to, but was talked into it by my other band members. We stayed to listen to them play, and they were all pretty plastered. Worst of all was the bass player, who I don't think really realized he had a 5-string in his hands, and was quite drunk as well. I don't think he played one correct note during the two songs... :p They had a lot of friends in the audience who enjoyed it though, and no gear was broken. :)

Normally I never want anyone touching my or my bands gear at a gig though.
  17. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Any drummer that doesnt bring a rug with him to every gig to prevent ath drum moving thing doesnt have the exspierience to know thats part of his job.