1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can't play an easy song??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by pappabass, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Ever have a easy song that you just cant play? I play a lot by ear & pattern, sometimes I will have a easy song that I just can't play. Funny I will have difficult songs that I can get thru ok. But that 4 chord song I can't seem to get right! How about you guys ?

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Yeah, Money - Pink Floyd was a tough one for me.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Clef_de_fa likes this.
  3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Just can't play, no but I have had a few that really gave me fits.
    One I recall was "The Bed's Too Big Without You" by The Police. At the time it came out and I was learning it I had not played much reggae and the timing on the transition to the chorus took me quite a bit of sheddin' to get just right.

JCooper and charlie monroe like this.
  4. I have to practice it over & over with band & youtube, then I usually get it right! if it is a line or riff, I kinda have to make it my own. but people expect it to be exactly like the original

5. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    54-46 Was my number.....

6. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I used to always have trouble playign China Grove by the Doobie Brothers
    Eventually I go it--but it's been a while--so who knows what would happen if I tried it now.

7. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Sometimes the simplest song can be hard to get the timing and good articulation just right. Some very slow country songs, for example, can be hard for being so simple.

bryan gibson and Rich Fiscus like this.
  8. mbell75

mbell75 Supporting Member

May 23, 2016
    Some Green Day and some Blink 182 songs for me. Mostly 4 chord songs but the speed and technique needed in some is hard for me. If you listen to isolated bass tracks, Mark Hoppus does this thing a lot where he hits a string with a few up/down strokes and then follows it up with really quick downstrokes that I have trouble with at times, especially on their faster paced songs.

pappabass likes this.
  9. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    The opening to Living On A Prayer baffled me for a bit. Shouldn't have been difficult to pick out, it's only like 4 notes.

10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    It happens every now and then. If you're used to playing/learning more difficult material, your brain will try to over complicate things.

JCooper and Thumb n Fingers like this.
  11. mbell75

mbell75 Supporting Member

May 23, 2016
    You also have to define what "difficult material" is. It will be different things to different players. I play guitar too, so I have worked with different friends and random guys who play bass as well. Ive known very good bass players who struggled with simple reggae bass lines because they couldn't get the feel and timing down. Ive seen good finger style players struggle with rather easy songs that required a pick and vice versa. For some, difficult is an Aston Barrett bass line, for some its John Myung and for others its a Mike Dirnt bass line. Same with guitar. I can play rhythm all day long but can't play a solo to save my life. Some guys can play lead but struggle with rather easy rhythm parts.

12. Bondobass

Bondobass

Mar 14, 2014
    Labeling a song as easy doesn't necessarily make it so, and worse is when others label it easy..

Mechanical likes this.
  13. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    +1

Epic song. Took me some time to own it as well.

14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Slow songs are a bitch timing wise.

Buzz E and Seth Miller like this.
  15. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    American
    Reggae always gives me a fit. I don't play it enough to be proficient and I'm always
    thinking R&B and instinctively land on the 1 rather than the upbeat, so my playing keeps clashing with the back beat.
    There are not that many notes to play but it's where you put those notes that counts.

JCooper, Bassroy and Fat Freddy like this.
  16. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    For some reason the bass solo in Golden Earring's "Twilight Zone" gives me problems

17. I mess up simple stuff sometimes. I think a few things contribute to it.

For one when I'm playing something that's easy to play I'm usually not that focused on what I'm playing more crowd interaction or daydreaming or whatever. When I'm playing a part that's more difficult I'm a lot more focused on playing it.

Another reason is we tend to change songs for gigs in order to interact with the crowd. You can't really count how many times that super simple part repeats because it's totally up to how much talking the singer does, and if you can't hear the singer well it can make things difficult. Sometimes our singer will also wait and let us jam a little before coming in which also changes how many times a part repeats.

18. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    PA/NY/MA/KY
    Me too. I can fly through Rush, The Who, pretty much all jazz stuff, but Money was tough for me.

19. Just went back to Money last night. I haven't played around with it for a while, but it has always given me fits for some reason.

20. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Songs that repeat many times are difficult to get right. "Stand By Me" and "Shotgun" etc. They're just vamps and the mind wanders after a few choruses.

JCooper likes this.