1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can't power my X2 wireless with Voodoo Lab

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by afroman, Sep 24, 2008.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just bought a new Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Plus and during soundcheck at last nights gig I noticed some nasty hum, I found out it was something with my X2 XDS-Plus wireless, so I went cable.

Now testing in my house, it seems that the Pedal Power doesnt' supply it with enough juice. It runs perfectly with a Boss adapter or the one that came with my X2 but hisses and shuts off when used via Pedal Power.

I'm just dissappointed as now I'll have to use and external adaptor to power the X2 and ruin my very neat pedalboard setup.

Am I doing something wrong? or expecting too much out of the Voodoo lab? I though it was the power-all problem solving unit.

Some feedback is most welcome:crying:

2. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    why not just spend a little cash and get a OneSpot? i run my pedals AND my wireless off a single onespot

3. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Watching this thread with great interest, as I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal on a Voodoo, in part to power my new XDSPlus. :confused:

4. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well I got to Pedal Power so I wouldn't have to run any external cables or power supplies. I can use the power adapter that came with the X2 but it just spoils my plan for a clean pedalboard. I even got a Pedaltrain so I could put the Pedal Power underneath and plug the PP to the outlet and be good to go.

5. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    I'm currently using a OneSpot to power my X2 and the rest of my pedal board, but like the OP, I want to eliminate external "wall wart" type stuff, and occasionally the OneSpot is the source of noise. I'm fairly certain that the VooDoo, with it's isolated outputs, will be a quieter solution, and I'm hoping we will find out that it is capable of powering the X2.

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What are the amperage requirements of the X2?

7. I'm pretty sure that 2 of your outputs on the VDL (5 and 6??) are good for 200mA, and I believe a standard boss PS is 200mA. So if you use either of those outputs, you should be good. The rest of the outputs are only 100mA max.

8. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    The owner's manual for the XDS Plus states 9V, 300mA.

Houston, we may have a problem. :(

9. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Just looked at the VooDoo manual online, and the outputs you are speaking of are rated 250mA..........we're still coming up a bit short. :scowl:

10. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep. I'm a huge fan of the PPII, except that it cannot power pedals with high amperage draw like that. There is no easy workaround, either, although I did see another supply advertise a special cable for doubling current available using two outlets, rather than doubling voltage which is easy and common. I am not sure how (or if) the current one works.

11. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    I was also considering the BBE Supa-charger, but I just looked, and it only provides 200mA.

I'm glad that this thread came up, as I was ready to purchase the VooDoo or the BBE.......but now I'm stuck. Does anyone know of a similar product that can supply the high current requirements of the X2? :meh:

12. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep the manual states 9V, 300mA.
    Well I just finished setting up my new pedalboard again and I just velcroed the X2 stock apadter to hte pedalboard itself, so all I have to do is plug the PP2 and the X2 supply into my power strip.

Oh, well you can't have it all:rolleyes:

13. electricimprov

electricimprov

Mar 15, 2008
    So Cal
    My Nova Delay, also rated at 300mA, works on the L6 outputs of the PPII+. If you haven't tried it yet, give it a shot and see if it will power up.

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Ouch.

The regular X2 XDS95 (the basic model) powers just fine on the PP2+, for the record. I wasn't aware that the XDS Plus was such a high-draw item, though. I guess it makes sense, since it's technically a floor-mount version of an otherwise rackmount unit (XDR95)...

Maybe this is a silly question, but afroman: do you really need the extra range/features offered by the XDS Plus? Or would the less expensive version suffice?

15. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well I actually owned a regular XDS once last year. I bought it to compare to my Shure ULXS. It worked gresat and was very small and compact, but since my Shure never gave me any problems and it's 300' range was a lot more than the X2's, I decided to keep my Shure.

About 2 months ago, I sold my Shure when I saw the new XDS-Plus.
    I think it's a great unit, being basically the rackmount version in a small format.

I think I made the right choice.
    I'm gonna try the L6 output suggestion

16. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Do you leave the small switch at the bottom on NORMAL or do you push it up? Also do you use the L6 cable or a regular one.

Thanks in advance.

17. electricimprov

electricimprov

Mar 15, 2008
    So Cal
    Push it up and use the standard 2.1mm cable, given that's what the X2 uses.

18. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    OMG it worked!!!:eek:
    I did however leave the swith in NORMAL mode and it workd perfectly.
    I went back to one of the other PP2s outputs and it hisses and shut down. But using the output 5 or 6, worked the same as with it's stock power adapter.

Thanks a lot!!!:hyper:
    I will test it at the next gig, but it worked, no hiss, no power shutdown.

19. electricimprov

electricimprov

Mar 15, 2008
    So Cal
    Ah right, leaving it in Normal gives you regulated, switching it up gives you unregulated for Line 6 pedals. Glad it worked for you!

20. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Cool!

So perhaps it doesn't really draw 300mA, then. It may just be the adapter rating.

I wonder why they didn't publish the actual draw? 300mA did seem too arbitrary.