Can't Pull the Trigger!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I found a really sweet deal on a backup bass for my 55-02. A natural finish Yamaha BB405. It look mint, plays and sounds great. Best of all, I can get it for $250 cash. The problem is that I'm going to Orlando next week and I plan to check out Basscentral. Realistically, I have no Fodera or Sadowsky money and I just talked to Beaver and he said there are no used 55-01s in at the moment. Just knowing what they stock, I can't imagine getting a better deal on a backup bass than the Yamaha I found locally. That said, a part of me wants to wait until I at least see Basscentral before I buy anything. What should I do? I'm paralyzed by indecision!:help:
  2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works

I'd definitely wait if it were me .... I always wait if I'm not 1000% sure. But that's some cheap cake for a decent bass, especially if it's in good shape. If you grab it and do see something at BC, it's a good bet you'd be able to sell the 405 for what you paid ......... :cool:
  3. Whatever you do you will always wonder "what if?"
    would you rather return from having gone to basscentral, and being unsatisfied, find that the yamaha is gone?
    can you gat a list of the inventory at basscentral before you go?
  4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    This is the rule that governs just about all of my used gear purchases... if I don't like it, can I get most or all of my money back? Even if you end up losing $20, that to me is worth knowing that I tried something, and could have kept it if I liked it.

Plus, you said you don't have the money for any Sadowskys or Foderas anyway, so what are the odds of this Yamaha keeping you from getting something you'd like better? I'd get the bass you know you like for a good price now, and worry about the rest later.
  5. Unless you have a lot of money, you shouldn't even walk into bass central!! You will instantly start figuring out how much you can get for your 55-02, that nice SLR camera you don't use anymore, the TV in your spare bedroom, the furniture in your spare bedroom, your girlf . . . well, you get the picture.
  6. ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    I'd go for the bird in the hand, then take it with me when I went to basscentral. Assuming you found something there that (1) you could afford, and (2) really lit you up, you could do a side-by-side with the Yammie and see if it was worth spending the extra dough, and if it was you could trade the Yammie against it. In either case you end up with one you like.
  7. gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    Where is that local shop that has the Yamaha you speak of?

I just want to ask the dealer some questions.;)
  8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    What he said.
  9. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Ya know....if you keep spending money on these low end basses, you'll never afford that Skjold hehe :)

Refrain, get some beano to ease the gas, and save yer pennies!
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I hear you Juneau, but I really just want a back up for right now. Unfortunately the Skjold will be on hold until I take care of some other matters. I also have to say that I really am happy with my 55-02 Skyline as my main bass right now. I agree with crhoton, that Basscentral will probably having me thinking how much I could get for my kidneys so I could pick up some of their sweet basses or amps. I know for a fact that Yamaha would really suit my purposes.
  11. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Doc -

You are pitiful! ;)

We've discussed this already -- you KNOW what you need to do ... buy the BB405 and back AWAY from more basses! :bag:
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis