Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't put strings on vintage jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by I-Love-Ratm, Apr 17, 2004.

1. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Ok I am borrowing a 1969 Fender Jazz off my friend for a gig soon.It came with really old strings so I bought some D'addaro Exl .45-.100s and When putting on the Gstring it snapped at the top.And when I put on the there was terrible buzz from the 1st to about third fret.What is wrong?

2. Sounds like you've put on a lighter gauge of strings than was on originally. The lighter strings don't bring the neck into alignment like the heavier strings.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Should he loosen the truss rod then?

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Don't mean to butt in, Hambone, but it's all in the family. :)

NO! To ever arbitrarily say that a truss rod or a bridge needs adjustment is an exercize in futility.

To know what needs adjusting you HAVE to know what frets are buzzing. If the frets closest to the tuning keys buzz, the truss rod needs adjusting. Fret buzz at bridge end of fingerboard, raise bridge saddles.

5. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I think ill just bring it into a shop.Thanks anyway guys

6. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Hehe, If I owned a 69' Jazz, I'd be damned if anybody was changing strings on it but myself ;)

And that's not meant to be a poke at you ratm.