Can't Quite Identify This P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davo737, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    A friend of mine sent me a link for a bass he just picked up on Ebay -

The serial number says it's a 1999 MIA, but the body doesn't seem to match. Obviously, assuming that the serial is what he says it is, the neck isn't original to the body. My question is - what Fender body is it? My first thought, given the white pickup, is that it's from the 80s? The knobs look like the standard model, but I didn't think MIM ones had transparent finishes other than sunburst. Then again, the whole thing could have been assembled from various Fender parts. Anyway, thanks for any thoughts.

2. UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    i have a 1999 mia p bass and it doesn't have a skunk stripe on the back of the neck like that one. i was under the impression that only mim's have the skunk stripe nowadays, but i could very easily be wrong. also, it just doesn't look like a mia p bass :meh:
  3. The body is just like this one. (PUPs differen obviously). Perhaps its a Pro sound?
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Looks like a late 90s "Traditional" MIM P. For a short time Fender had budget "Fender" branded MIMs that were just a tiny bit more expensive than the Squiers, but didn't have as nice acoutraments as the "Standard" MIM Fenders. My nephew used to have one of similar vintage, in black, and that looks just like it, particularly with the single ply white pickguard.

I think it was something like $170 new (the "Traditional" Jazz Bass with it's strange looking single piece pickguard/control plate was $200 IIRC) back then at a local band music shop, where they tended to be found. Squiers at Guitar Center were $129-150 at the time, and nowehere near the quaity of the Fender branded "Traditionals".

Good bass, I liked it. Sounded and played much nicer than the price would suggest. Spiffy feeling neck and looked clean, too.
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    body looks like it may be from the 80s because of the white pickup covers, white strat style knobs, single ply guard.