Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can't read new Dream Theater on my computer!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 1, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, they finally did it. Dream Theater seems to have sold out, to the paranoid record companies. I can't read their new CD "at all" on my computer. The songs don't even show up. Normally I can see the .cda files, and record to MP3 using MusicMatch or EasyCD Creator or some such thing. But the new CD doesn't read "at all". In fact, it doesn't even start my Windows Media Player like most normal CD's do. My computer isn't recognizing it as a legitimate audio CD. I'm sure it's a copy protection thing, another in the long line of woefully inadequate tricks the record companies have come up with, most of which don't work at all, and some of which (like this one) cause even worse problems (like a complete inability to play the CD on my favorite machine)! I'm pissed. I spent 15 bucks on the CD and it'll only play on one of the three platforms I use. I feel like firing off a nasty note to the RIAA, to tell them what a bunch of boneheads they are. But, I get the feeling it won't do any good. What can a poor boy do? (But play in a rock 'n' roll band)?

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Did you get a super audio cd by mistake? I went out and got my hands on a Weather Report CD to see what the buzz was all about, but I guess I didn't realize I picked up a super audio cd, it doesn't read in my computer, or any of my stereos...

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I suggest you use your buddy google to find out exactly what you can do, (and you can do things), so that you can FAIRLY use what you PURCHASED.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/76560

I love EAC. http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

4. When my friend lent me the cd, I could not burn the songs onto my computer. However, it did read the cd and play the songs normally so I dunno.

5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Just take it back to the store where you bought it and tell them it's defective (that it wont play on some systems) and they will most likely replace it for you. If the replacement does the same thing then demand a refund.

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    so if a cd won't play on your computer, they sold out? ****ing stuipid.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, it's just the Metallica mentality. Historically speaking, the copy protection thing has never worked. Look back through the history of Xerox machines and you'll learn some interesting lessons. Did the record industry feel threatened when cassette tapes came out and people started copying records for their friends? Heck, if I like a CD I'm gonna go buy it anyway, even if I already have another version of it, for at least two reasons: one, 'cause it's cool to have the original disc with the liner notes and artwork and all that, and two, 'cause I want to support the band and help make it possible for them to create additional music. I'm not suggesting people should go out and burn bootlegs, all I'm saying is that the whole RIAA copy protection thing has a lot more to do with politics than money. In my specific case, I like to burn CD's that I can listen to in my car on the way to work, and often these are compilations of different tunes from different bands. I'm not breaking any laws by doing that, and it's mainly a matter of convenience for personal use. So, I get annoyed when I have to deal with the record industry's moronic efforts to "protect their assets". My view is that it's just another example of how things go to hell when the bean counters take over. Remember back in the day (like the 70's), when Warner Bros. had their "loss leaders"? You could buy compilations of various artists' works for like two bucks or something, and it was a great way to listen to new music, and stuff you didn't always hear on the radio. Ah well, let me refrain from ranting. I did check the CD, and it's not a super audio version (at least not that I can tell). I may go back to the store and ask them what's going on, although I don't expect the sales people there to come up with too much detail in terms of an answer. More likely I'll just run the CD through my sound card and deal with it that way. The main thing is the concept that when I pay 15 bucks for a CD, a substantial fraction of that is going to pay for the engineering costs associated with these copy protection schemes, which can be easily circumvented and which do absolutely nothing to enhance my listening pleasure as a consumer. One of these days the record industry will catch on to the concept that the Internet is an opportunity and not a threat. Looks like that's starting to happen, but it's been slow in coming.

8. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    This is hard to explain...

Perhaps the problem is that the CD is an enhanced CD that only a DVD drive can read. A lot of CDs have the ''enhanced'' feature that allows you to see videos, interwiews, etc. when you put the disc in your computer. If you don't have a DVD drive then it won't be read... that would be like putting a DVD in a car stereo. If you have a DVD and CD drive, make sure you put it in the DVD drive. Of course, this will only work if it is in fact an enhanced CD. If it's not then just take it back. That was difficult to explain, sorry if it didn't make sense.

~Graeme

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    well i don't think there has been a cd yet that has been copyright protected that some hacker hasn't cracked. i'm not even sure if the artists have the choice of that either. sorry if i seemed rude i wasn't trying to be.

10. That's my views on burning cds. I just can't afford cd's in between burned copies, because they are F'in expensive. :mad:

11. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I used jet audio to rip all the mp3s to my comp... never had a problem reading them

12. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah, it's probably windows media too. try whatever else ;).

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've noticed a few of my CDs won't read on my comp (Ministry's Dark Side of the Spoon, for example). I owned it, so I had no qualms at all downloading it off Kaazaa. Just download it, and hold on to your hard copy for when the RIAA kicks in your door and arrests you. ;)

14. I don't know why it shouldn't work? I ripped on my Xbox, and it plays fine.