Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't remember what strings these are!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Selta, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hey all! I got these strings on my bass, there flatwounds and have purple on the ends. I can't remember what kind they are! Can anyone help me?

2. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    GHS flats have purple ends. I'm not sure if Smith makes flatwounds. I've never seen them.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I thought they were GHS as well but when I bought new ones, they didn't have the same "feel", if you know what I mean. They felt harder and they felt as if I jumped really high on the gagues when I know there the same. Ken Smith? I dunno, that name kind of rings a bell but I think those are on another bass that I play occasionally. I dunno!!!

4. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    GHS makes 3 different flatwound sets for long scale basses (34" and 35"): 3025 Light (45, 60, 75, 95 G to E), M3050 Medium (45, 65, 85, 105) and 3050 Regular (55, 70, 90, 105). As far as I know, they all have purple silks. Any idea which set you bought this time around? Did you happen to save the package?

I know I noticed a huge difference in playability between the mediums and the regulars. They took a little getting used to but the regulars sure did thump good.

Anyway, hope this helps.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Not to sound rude, but if I still had the package, wouldn't I kind of know what they were? I thought that they were mediums. I dunno.

6. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Right on. Well, good luck.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Thanks, I just found out that there regulars!!! I went out and bought them and yep you were right! Thanks!!

8. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You bet!