1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can't see what I am doing.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Recently my eyes have changed as I have entered my 40s. I wear glasses as I am near-sighted, but I have to take them off to read anything (or hold the book at arms length). I have noticed that when playing bass my vision is not clear when looking at the fretboard. Usually, its not an issue as I can get by fine without looking. However, I just learned Sweet Child Of Mine and need to see what I am doing for the melodic intro line. If I take off my glasses I can see up close fine, but then I can't see anything else, like my bandmates.

Would getting contacts solve this problem allowing me to see up close and at a distance?

2. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Sounds like you need bifocals...

3. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Yep....and you're at that age where you can expect more changes to come with your vision. I'm 59 and two years ago I only needed glasses for up close things, like playing bass, reading and writing. Distances were fine. Sharp as a tac, so to say. Now I need glasses for everything and my eyes are going thru more changes. Night vision is bad at times and the glare from oncoming lights really bothers me.

Don't be surprised if by chance your prescription has to be modified every few years from now on.

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    bifocals or progressives. Just got mine a month ago because I was sick of taking my glasses off to see close, putting them back on to see far, then getting caught in that in-between zone where it was blurry with or without...blah..then the fact that when I wore contacts I had to then go out and buy reading glasses to see close up anyway, thereby totally defeating the purpose of contacts...
    my progressives are great. They solved all of the above. I do also have a trial pair of bifocal-kinda-sorta contacts that I have not tried yet. If they're good I may also go with those.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Just close your eyes, play a bar on the open D string, slide up to the octave, and practice the part without looking.

That way when the stage lights go black for dramatic effect, you can just keep playing.

I look at my fingers a lot when I'm above the 7th fret, so don't get me wrong, but I think using your ears rather than your eyes is the answer to this dilemma.

6. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    If you need bifocals, you shouldn't be playing Sweet Child O' Mine ;)

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    If that's the case then neither should GnR! :cool:

8. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Cue "the current incarnation is nothing more than the Axl cover band" rant! :)