Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't silence the beast!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by sincity, Feb 10, 2003.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have a 62 RI Jazz Stack Knob that I absolutely love. Tone is fantastic across the board.

My problem (and I don't have this problem with any other bass I own or have owned), is I can't keep my E string from vibrating and creating overtones after I move my thumb from a muting position.

I float my thumb and anchor it on the string above what I am playing.

Do you think this may be a bridge / pickup problem or is inherent in most Fender Jazz basses?

or

Is my technique at fault?

Thanks in advance.

2. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    well something you could do that works well with my 6 is when your thumb is below the E on the A lean it backwards on to the E. another muting option is to leave your thumb on the pick up and mute with the 3rd and 4th fingers. that could help it's something I do with my 6. also a little piece of foam under the E string could help ala jamerson and bootsy

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I also mute with 3rd and 4th fingers, especially when playing a 5er.

4. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was afraid you guys would offer me advice on technique.

Thank you for the ideas.

Why do you think that this has never been an issue on any other basses I have played?

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I don't think bridge-mutes work well. Depending on what you're playing (where you're playing) a wrap around the neck that you can slide down (a'la Victor Wooten) might help.

6. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    yeah the hair band method is pretty good the reason I like it around the bridge is it doesn't limit my access to the neck. This is a 4 sting? Maybe it's been happening and this is the first bass you've noticed it on. maybe the bass is setup in a way that the strings pick up sympathetic vibrations of each othe better. whatever it is you can solve it all in technique or with a little ingenuity. are these new strings our playing? it might sound different once the are dead. I hate new strings :)

7. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Maybe it's been happening and this is the first bass you've noticed it on. maybe the bass is setup in a way that the strings pick up sympathetic vibrations of each othe better. whatever it is you can solve it all in technique or with a little ingenuity. are these new strings our playing? it might sound different once the are dead. I hate new strings

Well, I have a few basses at home at I don't notice the vibrations like I do on the jazz. The strings are brand new (DR Highbeams), but I had the same problem with the older strings.

In a rock setting with the whole band playing, this won't be an issue. But when the bass is a bit more exposed in a tune, then it would be noticeable.

Perhaps, I will really concentrate on some muting techniques above what I already practice.