Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can't stop breaking my G

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kheos, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    i don't get it, my factory strings lasted from august till december, then i broke my G while popping
    i bought a new set of strings, my G didn't last 3 weeks, bought another G, this one didn't last for a month an a half. and the strange thing about it is that it's just the core which breaks, leaving the surrounding intact.
    does got to do with the way i play, or do i only buy crappy string? or is it something like temperature or humidiness i should take care of?

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Two questions:

1. Where did the string break? If it was the same place each time there might be something rough on the bass that needs sorting out.

2. Did all the break occur when you were popping? If not, it would be useful to know the other techniques you use - a heavy hand is more likely to break strings than one that has learned to dance lightly.

Wulf

3. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    well, my last broken G broke just on the bridge
    the part where the string stops goin / and starts going _
    the g before that broke an inch, maybe 2 inch past the bridge, so i guess there something out there
    and on the G i only pop and tab(i even don't use an plectrum) so i wouldn't know if that would destroy an g so easily

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    so you keep on breaking your G-sting???

well, what were you wearing?

:D :eek: :D

sorry, couldn't resist...carry on....

5. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    that would give 'popping my g string' a whole new meaning, woudln't it

6. I came for the pictures. Where are all the pictures?!?!?!?

:confused: :D

7. HAHAHAHA...

Oh Crap...I think I just popped my G-String! *runs to the bathroom*:bawl:

-Jon:spit:

8. Adamb154

Adamb154 Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    what brand do you use???
    do you boil your strings??

9. Adamb154

Adamb154 Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    And also do you pop the standard way or are you one of the mega poppers that beats up the strings?

10. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    seems to me i'm kinda the second kinda popper
    i don't boil my strings and one of the g's i broke was a bass boomer

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    what kind of bass / bridge?

i had this problem really bad on a warwick i had, and it turned out there was a sharp ridge that the casting process left where the string lied. i filed it down - no more broken strings. (at least, not one every other gig like it was before)

also, your technique is probably a bit heavy - the combination of quality strings and lightening up my technique has limited my broken strings to one every few months.

12. I have never; not once, broken a string. But then again, I play mostly pick and fingerstyle and don't really slap, pop or tap because my technique in those three playing styles is so god awful.

13. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've only broken about three strings in my 16 year playing career (albeit 'career' in the amateur sense of the word) and, as I recall, all three of those were through tuning up (or was one when someone else was playing the bass? It's a long time ago now .... ;) ). That includes a moderate amount of slapping and popping.

The fact the string didn't break in the same place each time suggests the bridge probably isn't to blame (although check to see that it's smooth). I'd highly recommend working on a gentler technique - you don't have to pull the string two inches off the fretboard to get the right kind of snap!

Wulf

14. I broke 2 G strings last night. My first one broke because i popped it a little too hard, after I replaced it i tuned it a little flat and stetched it out a little and it broke again:mad:. The strings i had on were Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (which are nickel wound) and the only replacements i had were a new set of rotosounds(which are stainless steel) so i went and replaced the whole set.

By the way, this is my first time using stainless steel and so far I really like'em:)

15. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    i know i gotta work bad on my popping technique
    (not that my slap is any good, but atleast i don't break strings while slapping :d)

16. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I use to have the same problem, then I realized it was my style. Your plucking to hard, let the string go earlier, you don't have to yank it so hard to get the sound.

17. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i had the same problem on my peavey foundation bass,it seems that it was a design flaw in the sense that the strings had to be overtightened to tune,i will try to explain to best i can,when i would try to tune my G string it would either snap or come out of the tuner guide,i brang it to my luthier and he looked it over and said the bridge position was too close to the neck causing the strings to be overly taunt,the only way to remedy was to reposition the bridge further away from the neck,a temporary solution was to lighten the string gauge,i opted for the latter of the two solutions,it worked most of the time,i did'nt like the change in strings so i sold the bass, i hope this helps, if you are unsure bring it to a pro!:bassist: