1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can't...stop...myself...(svt'cl)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RwG, Apr 1, 2006.

1. RwG

RwG

Mar 24, 2006
    orlando, fl
    I can't stop thinking about it, I currently have an SVT 4-Pro, it's ok but.....what I really want is an Ampeg SVT-CL. I'm using an Sansamp BDDI and I can get a good sound out of it but I just really want it. It was my amp of choice when I got the 4-Pro, but i got the 4 pro by a mistake of the store and they told me to keep it ( I ordered the 3 pro, they shipped me the 4 pro, I didn't order the CL then because i couldn't afford it, they told me to just keep the 4 pro's because they didn't have anymore 3 pros in stock and the shipping back and forth would be too much). but anyway.....I really want the Classic to run through my SVT 810 and 410hlf!!

Here is my hold up.......I've read that you need to warm up the tubes for 20 minutes to get good tone and power form it and that it extends tube life if you do so. but, when i do shows I don't have 20 minutes to let the amp sit on standby, i have maybe 5, 10 max. So would that be a problem? Other than that I'm sold on it.

Also, do any of you play a G&L through it? I've played through it at low volumes but I'm afraid that at live, full band volume that the MFD's will overdrive it too much.

what do you think? I live 5 minutes from Bass Central, I can literally get this thing at have it home in 10 minutes!

2. Where did you find that useless "fact"? Tube amps generally take about 30 seconds to a minute, depending on the amp, to warm up in standby. It won't kill you to turn it on before its warmed up, but it does make for less tube wear to give it a bit to warm up. The CL isn't my favorite amp, but if you dig it go for it!

3. RwG

RwG

Mar 24, 2006
    orlando, fl
    I read it on line somewhere, it claimed that it takes 20 minutes to warm up to get the full power and tone out of it. I dont' remember where i read it but if i can find it again i'll copy it here.

I just spent a 1/2 hour playing one at a guitar shop here and i didn't notice any change after playing it - and we didn't let it warm up.

4. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I always go 5 minutes max for warmup. Most of the time, it's around 3 minutes. 20 minutes is totally unnecessary.

5. RwG

RwG

Mar 24, 2006
    orlando, fl
    cool, that sounds much more reasonable, i don't know who has 20 minutes to sit around and wait for an amp to warm up.

thanks

about...to...pull...the...trigger.

6. i just went into my local guitar center the other day and plugged into one of these too. ANd just like you, i now have GAS for one of these or a V-4BH. Nothing sounds better than a passive fender and a all tube ampeg.