Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't tame my SR5 when thru my RBI!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andruca, Apr 15, 2005.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Hi everybody!

I have this simple question to make. In the last months I just use my SR5 almost only for recording (unbeatable). But recently wanted to use it with my new rig (SansAmp RBI with parametric EQ and multiband compressor in the loop + power amp) and it sounded absolutely harshy (in comparison with my 2 Fernandes Gravity V basses I use live the most). I also use a 4.5XL and a 215XL Hartke cabs (changed the 5" on the 4.5XL and now I use a compression driver for higher response and to reduce mid-hi harshyness). I use everything almost flat with my Gravities and it sounds amazing (not harshy, not boomy, absolutely "masterized"). But with the SR5 I have lots of trouble (particularly some horrendous peaks that seem to be happening around 250/300Hz -boomy- and 2.5KHz -harshy-). The bad (or good) thing is that when I run the Stingray thru my Peavey TKO-80 sh*tty combo it sounds amazing with flat EQ. I think my question is restricted to Stingray 5/Sterling users (as I use the parallel -level towards bridge- pickup mode on my SR5). What settings do you use in your BDDI/RBI? Do you boost/cut any other frequencies outside the BDDI/RBI? Thanks so much!

ANDRUCA

EDIT: I usually play rock or nu-metal, with a very hi-fi tone, with strong lows (around 40-80Hz) and a little boosted 12KHz brightness.

2. When I had my RBI, and played my SR all the time, I found that the 'Blend' knob was the culprit. I had originally started with the factory suggested settings, but I found them all to be biting and harsh. So I noodled around with the thing and found that when I turned the blend knob to the left, everything warmed up nicely.

My settings (for SR-4) were Drive at 10 o'clock, Blend at 9 o'clock, Bass at 3 o'clock, Mid at 12 o'clock, Treble at 11 o'clock. I generally ran my bass eq at center, but would sometimes turn the treble down just past the center detent.

What I got was clear, full, punchy and deep bass. It was nice.

3. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thanks so much for these ideas! I use my SR5 exactly like you (with treble a little rolled off when I slap). I played with the mix (previously I only had though of the presence control as the cause) and found it (at around 10 o'clock). I usually keep the drive at 1:30 'cause the style I play requires this "rudeness" the drive gives. I'm rather stupid as I've had the blend control at 12 o'clock from day zero and almost never changed it. I'm definitely clearer sounding now and I can run both basses with tone controls flat (or just "half an hour" more bass with both Fernandes), and adapting the character of each bass just by means of the blend and presence controls. Thanks SO MUCH!!!! :)

ANDRUCA

4. Glad I could help! I had forgotten about the Presence...er, I mean "Add treble and rob you of bass" knob. I generally had the presence turned way down.

I really do miss that rig sometimes.