1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can't tell if I prefer my precision or my jazz...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ishouldbeking, Jun 8, 2007.

1. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Man. For years I've had a MIM Jazz that I've beat on and abused thru punk bands and everything else, loaned it out, hid it under a couch for a year or two while I gave all my attention to my Stingray. With my newest band i realized the stingray wouldn't cut it sound-wise. So I dug out the jazz and threw a set of fat thumpy webstrings flats on there, and I got myself a nice deep thump sound, but the string tension is a little high.

All along I was thinking that the flats on my jazz were just trying to mimic a p-bass sound (never having owned one), and I made it a point to get a decent (if cheap) p-clone, and I snagged a very well put together SX Precision and threw on a set of TI's.

Oddly, or it seems odd to me, the P with TI's is way more of midrange rock sound while the jazz with webstrings gives me the thumpy goodness I was looking for. I thought P's were supposed to be naturally thumpy? Did I just want a jazz bass all along or is my problem in with my choice of strings, or maybe it's just the difference between SX and MIM quality? I dunno. Anyone have an idea? I'm asking because I want to get a really well put together bass, but I'm torn in over which direction to go in...

2. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    Take a look at the Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Put the TIs on the Jazz and then see what you think.

4. Knives

Knives

Mar 18, 2005
    Athens, Ga
    The flats on your jazz are high tension... are they D'Addario's? I prefer the D'Addario's on my Pbass over the TI's but I prefer the TI's on my fretless. So I think it is a string preference deal.
    Kevin W.

5. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Put the flats on the Stingray!

6. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I agree with you on your observations about the P vs J sound. The P is more midrangy; the J has more bottom. But notice that this is mainly in the D and G string, because the P has the pickup closer to the bridge in those strings. The E and A string are more similar in both basses.

In general I have experienced more real low end with J's neck pickups than with Ps (and I've had 10 P basses, including an USA Lakland Glaub).

And as mentioned, try the Stingray with flats. I especially like Sadowsky light gauge flats on Stingrays - they have the perfect tension (higher that TIs, but lower than most flats) and they have a round core, so the are snappy and can be effectively slapped. Very versatile.

TIs can be way too dark sometimes.

Lastly, bass quality and pickup quality is a big factor in the "thump" factor. For example, I have a cheap Yamaha bass with a Dimarzio P/J set, and that bass has one of the biggest low ends of all my basses. The Dimarzio P pickup is pretty deep and throaty at the same time.

Now, if you want real thump, try a hollowbody or semihollowbody with flats.

7. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    TI Jazz Flats are a mid-oriented string, without a lot of thump. Throw a set of Labella Deep Talkin' Flats on there, and it will thump like a madman.

8. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Wow, great comments, and not just this one, I mean all of em. Something I should probably mention is that I use a pick about 98% of the time.

It's funny, part of me was considering getting a hollowbody like this one:

[​IMG]

I was hesitant because I was leaning towards a p-bass pickup setup, but now I'm not so sure. Something about the idea of a hollowbody bass has always appealed to me, though I've never played one. And I hear great things about these bacchus basses...

So I'm thinking I might just take my existing TI's and toss them on my stingray and maybe pickup a set of Labella flats for my P-bass and see how it compares to the Jazz. Honestly I'm pretty surprised how much I like the sound of the webstrings flats. I bought them as my first foray into flatwounds and I was a little dubious because of their ridiculously low price, but for the money ($16) they seem to be pretty great, if a little on the high-tension side.

One thing about the Jazz that I noticed i really like is that when I play up around the 12 fret on the D and G strings the notes ring out in a much richer way than they do on the P, probably due to pickup placement. But a lot of my sound comes from high guitar-like melodic leads, so this is an important consideration.

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I played Jazz basses for years, but when I got my '50s Precision, the band went nuts over it. so it immediately became my Number One Bass.

So naturally I just traded for an MIM Standard Jazz fretless, and doggone if it doesn't sound excellent....:p

I'll report back after the rehearsal tonight and gig tomorrow.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021