Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can't wait till christmas!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jappy, Dec 2, 2002.

1. jappy

jappy

Nov 22, 2002
    Okay, i can't wait until christmas! I'm going to start playing bass because from what i've played and heard it's pretty easy if you are decent at guitar. So I asked for an OLP mm2 this year..because I searched the forum looking for good starter basses and i really liked the olp. The only bass i've ever played was an Aria IGB-50, and i think it sounded pretty good. I also just got a nice halfstack package so I can play it through that (once it gets here). if anyone out there has played that aria bass, can you tell me how an olp sounds in comparison to that? thanks :)

2. Yea, I hope you enjoying playing bass, but you absolute idiot.
    :mad:

edit: Speeling :p:D :rolleyes:

3. jappy

jappy

Nov 22, 2002
  4. T.B. Player

T.B. Player

Aug 10, 2002
    Orange, Texas
    What my friend here was trying to convey is that when your new around a place like this be careful how you state things. I took your comment as innocent, but bass is as easy or hard as your are willing to make it. As one man's signature suggest "Any guitarist can play bass as well as any bassist can play guitar" or something of that sort.

I can play power chords and bar chords so does that make me a great guitarist? No, what every you put into it is what you'll get out.

Now on the bass issue of the OLP I used to own one and they are great for a starting bass. It has a lot of output for a passive bass. Be careful, if you stay around this board too long these guys will have you gasing for more basses. Welcome to talkbass.:cool:

5. jappy

jappy

Nov 22, 2002
    lol okay thanks :) i didn't mean for that to be a harmful comment. I just meant its easier (in my opinion) to play than guitar because you dont have to learn all those stinkin' chords! :p

6. IMO, you'll be a better bassist if you still know what notes make up each chord. Bass requires a different mindset than guitar, but that doesn't make it easier.

As for the OLP, I haven't played one but I've heard one, and it sounded decent for a starter bass.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i see a realy bad thread coming from this....

i have had so many "discusions" about this.
    you might think it is easier, but i think it is harder. for some reasons.
    can we just leave it at that?
    for some people it might be really hard for others easier.

steve

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah this thread will be closed shortly.. so I'll try and get a word in edgewise.

Calling you a name was wrong.. You are jsut mis informend and you are yet to discover you are wrong

You still have to know chords.. unless you just play on playin the root. But if you listen to some actual good bass players, you will find that playing bass is just as hard and dare I say harder than guitar. :eek: So before a flame war starts, i just thought you should know that while you believe what you say is true... and maybe for what you play it is, bass is not easier than guitar

OLP stingrays are decent beginner basses i guess..

9. i agree with what everyone else said about the "bass is easier" thing and the OLP, but in addition, don't base your choice of an instrument on how easy it is to play, becauause A) You might enjoy another instrument more that you find harder B) You really cant say how hard something like playing an instrument is until you really learn how to play it (which you have not done yet), and C) Bass is only easier than guitar (or any other instrument for that matter) if you play easier things on it. Jimi Hendrix might have played harder guitar than Mark Hoppus plays bass, but Vic Wooten plays harder bass than Tom Delonge plays guitar.

BTW - Welcome to Talkbass :D

10. I'll take back what I said, but it gets really annoying, and once you come across one of Lord Only's songs (the band that JT plays in) you'll relise.. abss ain't so easy :D

Ive played the OLP and gasses for one badly, it's a nice playing bass, and the sound is nice, clean, bassy, punchy, and VERY versitile (sp!!)

Again, have fun ;)

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I've heard that tambourine is really easy if you already play triangle. Cuz you don't have to worry about hitting two things together, you just shake one thing!

12. I switched from guitar to bass in high school because I erroneously thought "it would be easier because you're only playing one note at a time instead of learning chords."

Well, now I'm 40 with a bachelor's degree in electric bass and 23 years of performing experience...and I'm STILL learning the bass and learning chords (bass chords that is). When you listen to guys like Marcus, Pattitucci, and Vic, I find I will ALWAYS be learning the bass.

Simple and hard are relevent. Where do you set your bar?

13. jappy

jappy

Nov 22, 2002
    alright guys. thanks so much for your help. What you said really made me think. Maybe I'll try taking lessons for awhile so I can learn the bass chords and such too. About harder instruments..i've played drums for 9 years and most drummers i've seen have a very hard time becoming "good" at drums, but alot only seem to start because they think it's the "Easy" instrument. So i can see where you are coming from about that.

thanks again :)

14. Maybe it's because I just turned 32 two weeks ago but ....

What's an OLP?

15. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Officially liscensed product... you know the OLP stingrays and what not

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ok, try reading that and then call some one else an idiot.

Actually, how about you just re-read it, realize you are not in a position to be calling someone an idiot, and then delete the post before a Mod does for name calling.

Peace
    Nick

17. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    You got the message! Great!

Now you only need to learn....and practice....and practice...and learn...etc

There is no easy instrument, not even comb is...
    And chords.........oooooo, my, back to the book I go, again....:(

Welcome to the roots, and good luck:D