Can't win don't try (rationalizing bass purchase)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blipndub, Mar 10, 2004.

1. I've tried both approaches to introducing a new bass to my girlfriend.
    1) buying the bass and letting her discover it organically. i don't say anything but one day she'll be like (hey what's that bass I’ve not seen that before)
    2) hey honey wanna see my tax return/new bass? and then you just throw it out there and say, yes i bought this, new and i paid in full.

Here's my experience. The first one is better. The second one introduces a whole new level of rationalizing about why it was a good way to spend money. The fact is my girlfriend doesn't care enough about one bass from another so that i can have it for months before she even notices and it totally softens the blow. it's like well, the money's already spent i guess he could afford it since he's still paying bills etc.

What have you guys found works best. I'm done buying guitars for a while (I PROMISE) but you never know
  2. ...and here it is.
    at least Kozo the cattledog seems to like it...
  3. Hey Blip,
    I was told recently by a good friend some sage advice: "It is easier to ask for forgiveness, than to beg for permission..."
    Good luck!

PS: Cool pooch.
  4. that's so true and i do care how she feels, and she ended up with "if it makes you happy..." and i think she meant it. you're right, being honest is a good thing, just a little harder sometimes!

5. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Buy her something, too (not as in, buy her off...). Big or small, she'd dig it...
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Welcome to the Godin Family man.
  7. Part of my rationalization was that she's taking a two week vacation in Honolulu at the end of the month. so i figured, this is my Hawaii since i can't go.

I love the Godin, it covers all the bases ; ) it's one thick sounding bass. compared it to the new Ibanez 405 which is nice but stiff and the MTD 5 which is beautiful, has kick ass elecronics but felt kind of cheap. The Godin sounded and felt the best, looks great and was under 600.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I'm pretty lucky-my wife is used some checks to buy me an Elrick singlecut. She's also purchased a 4x10, a Boss GT-6B, a pretty nice keyboard, and paid for the LEDs in my fretless. I don't know if she always understands why I want all this stuff (as some of it occasionally ends up collecting dust for short periods of time), but she knows it's one of my passions and supports it as best she can. I think as long as the bills are getting paid on time and there's a little set aside for emergencies, she's happy to make me happy. She makes me very happy I must say.
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I bought a tube combo once, and put it on my credit card. I have 30 days to return it, and she warmed up to the tubes. (Bad Pun intended) So, it worked out well. That's how I do it.
  10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Keyword: "Girlfriend"

I say, if you aren't married, no woman has the right to tell you that you can or can't buy a bass. If you are not married, your finances are a whole lot of none of their damned business.
  11. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    unless you live together. And pay bills together.
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm still a fan of the McManus school` of collecting. Get at least 4 basses right off the bat. Less than three, she can identify each one by color, if nothing else. After 4, she just thinks of them generally as "all those basses," and you're free to go nuts.

Also, if you have multiple guitar stand/wall hangers, always leave the same amount of spaces open. She'll see two open spots, and she'll keep those in mind, but not the actual number (re: the above paragraph). You can even add whole full racks (but only full, otherwise she'll notice the other empty slots) or new sections to the wall hanging section, as long as you keep those same two spots empty.

That's how you collect basses with a significant other who doesn't "get" music. Josh Walsh is lucky, his wife is a drummer, she understands. Many do not.
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I like that idea, Brendan.
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not mine. Patrick F. McManus'. Only he applies it to collecting guns.
  15. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Girlfriends may be temporary.... a bass lasts forever. Why is this an issue? She's your girl right? Your justifying this because she's going to Hawaii whatever.... she should support your endeavors, but that's none of my business. Maybe you buy a bass a week and she's concerned about your spending? not that there's anything wrong with that.
  16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It took about 8 months for me to get both the MIA-P I now enjoy, and a decent rig to share the love.
    I have my sights on another hunk 'o' wood here in the next year. I will get it, I just have to get my wife resigned to the fact that it's a forgone conclusion: "honey, say hello to the new addition!"

Since I am married, I tell her this up-front. My wife is the greatest.

Plus I am hoping for the even trade of the Diamond ring I got for her last Holiday. :D
  17. Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    It must be a nice bass if you're going to trade your wife's diamond ring for it! :bag:
  18. You know I think my (live in, cohabitating, domestic partner) girlfriend does support my playing and even my guitar habit but there's always a bit of a sticker shock. I'm not wealthy so it's not like the money couldn't have gone to something else that maybe was more useful. She seems to waffle between amusement and annoyance.

Part of it is my guilt. I think about all the great musicians in the world who are lucky to have a crappy old jazz bass with 15 year old strings. A friend of mine recently visited Cuba and he brought a duffle bag of spark plugs and guitar strings, musicians and mechanics would take care of these things so that they would last for years and years and years. I don't know how many sets of strings I've got laying around. So more basses, it's a want thing way over a need thing, so i do feel kind of guilty. But then it's like, I work really hard for what I have why can't I get a new bass if I can afford it? Better than drinking or drugging it away!
  19. Hey
    Owner of, whats the string spacing like? Does it slap well?