Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Capabilities of an Aguilar GS 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jacob Bartfield, Dec 21, 2002.

1. I'm looking to get a new amp that will work with my Aguilar GS 112. The cabinet is only rated to handle 300 watts, so does that mean I have to get an amp under 300 watts? If I get, say, and Aguilar DB 750, would that severely overpower the cabinet? My other question is, will a higher end cabinet like a Bergantino really handle a lot more power than it's rated at? Would that be better to have than the Aguilar. Thanks.

2. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I'm putting 700 watts into my GS112 via a bridged stewart 1.2 and it handles it fine. In fact it sounds much better with more watts. I don't think I would feel comfortable cranking it with this amp but I have pushed it pretty hard. If you clip a big power amp into overpowered speakers you can run into trouble fast so be careful.

3. Thanks. I've heard that if a cabinet can nadle "too many" solid state watts a lot better than "too many" tube watts. Is this true?

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Usually if you push a solid state power amp really hard it starts to sound like crap. If you push a tube head really hard it sounds good (to some people). Thus you have more headroom with a tube amp of the same wattage. Some people say tube watts are actually louder. Ive never had the pleasure of playing a tube power amp:( so I couldn't tell you. Most seem to agree that if you are willing to deal with carrying around the weight of a tube power amp it will sound better than a solid state power amp.

A speaker cabinet will handle "too many" tube watts better because if you clip a SS amp you can damage your speakers. This is not as likely with a tube amp. Disclaimer: I am not a tech guy and I have not used a tube power amp. The above information is a combination of regurgitation of previous TB posts and personal experience.

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    the new bass player review of the db750 they mention running it into one gs112.

You can only have too many watts when you turn that volume knob and try to use them. A 1800w amp will put out the same 200 watts as a 300 watt amp will put out.The thing is the 1800 is not even thinking to do it, where the 300 watt amp is working harder.The big amp sounds better.

AJ

6. Yeah. I've read the new review in Bass Player. But what about the impedence? The GS 112 is an 8 ohm cab, and the DB 750 only settings of 4 and 2 ohms. Wouldn't that be overpowering the cabinet?

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I think it has more to do with the fact that a clipping SS amp sounds like crap. It starts to clip, you turn down. A clipping tube amp doesn't (necessarily) sound as bad, and the end result is the output signal is compressed, and the average (RMS) power output goes up (as does the perceived volume) even if the max power the amp can provide is the same as the SS amp's. It doesn't sound bad, might even sound good, so you're more likely to run it this way, and eventually overpower the speakers. Uh, so I think I just said the opposite of what you said. :)

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    No, that would be running the amp with a mismatched load - you'd end up just not getting the most power out of the amp (this applies to tube amps) if you ran it on the 4-ohm setting (or, worse, the 2-ohm setting).

9. bassboat

bassboat

Sep 27, 2001

Yes, but the DB 750 has a solid state power section, and certainly works at 8 ohms. You don't match the impedance to the cabinet on solid state amp. As you pointed out, this applies only to tube amps. The only thing that is relevent with the DB 750 is that you don't go below the minimum impedance, which is 2 ohms. I think the The DB 750's output with an 8 ohm load is 450 watts RMS.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Oops, I thought it was the tube one (Aguilar and their numbers!). Thanks for correcting me!

11. I also bridge my amp into my two GS112s. 700w into one cab or 1000w into two cabs without any problems to date. IMO they really do sound better when you put more watts into them.

12. So basically, what you guys are saying is that the GS 112s rating of 300 watts really doesn't mean much, and is misleading and inacurate, and I should be able to run a lot more power through it than 300 watts. Right?

13. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    im not getting misleading and inaccurate from the previous posts,

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Neither am I - 300w is the continuous RMS rating. That's what the cab cound handle if you put a constant 300w through it. Even with a 700w amp and some compression on the bass signal, you're not putting anywhere near 300w RMS through the cab probably.

15. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Well the question is what is sounding better does the 112 sound better with more than enough watts goin through it or does the amp sound better and it imposible to tell if its the amp or the speaker.

The point is is that you need whats known as headroom because the amp controls the speaker and the more efficiantly the amp is running the the more energy it has to handle triansient spikes caused by BIG changes in dinamics .Which are frequency dependent (IE low notes eat watts!)

AJ

16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    fwiw,
    i run 450 watts from 1 half of my stewart 2.1 into my aggie and it sounds great
    those 450 watts really only come into effect during transient spikes and the aggie can handle a momentary load like that
    as for speakers sounding better with more watts, this is very subjective
    many speakers being driven with 100 watts each can sound more open and articulate, while pumping 400 watts through one speaker can sound fuller and more aggressive
    personally i like both sounds at times