Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Capacitor for Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RATZAX, Jul 4, 2005.

1. RATZAX

RATZAX

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    I replaced the pots on my Jazz bass with a set of pots from a Geddy Lee bass. The tone seems a little too much on the treble side. Does anyone know the exact capacitor and where to get it . I want a warm sound closer to a Pbass tone.
    Thanks
    Bernie

2. Chances are you have 0.050 micro-Farad cap installed...you can check this easily enough

If you replace it with a 0.100 micro-Farad cap, you'll get a bit more treble roll-off, which is perceived as "more bass".

You can buy these in lots of 12 for a few bucks at www.stewmac.com, or just pick one up at radio shack or something...

ask for the ceramic disc type...not the electrolyte type..

3. Bear in mind that the value of the tone cap has a negligible effect on the overall treble roll-off when the tone control is fully open. I don't know what values are the GD pots but if they are 500k instead of 250k that's where the problem is. A very easy solution is to put a 180k resistor from the output wire to ground, that will give you the exact same loading as if you had three 250k pots. Since resistors are dirt cheap, you could try a few values (say 120k, 150k, 180k, 220k, 270k) and see which one gives you the right amount of treble roll-off.