Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Capacitor Trim

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by daveze, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Did anybody else know you can get these? I was wandering round my uni the other day, looking for my physics prac room, and they had little cabinets full of electronics stuff. Lo and behold, there, amongst the resistors and capacitors was a capacitor trim pot.

They any good, considering making a trip to Dick Smith or somewhere to pick one up. Anybody had any experience, are they as reliable/good quality as one with a set value, or only for gauging what you'd use as the set?

Josh D

2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I am also very interested in these also... I wonder if there is a non-trim version also, like a full pot... Just imagin the posablilits, with an adjustible cap value + the added risistance of the tone pot you could do a lot... wowyzowy...

Alex

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I've often thought about putting one of these adjustable caps in an active guitar, to tune the pickup loading. They're generally not very large, maybe 1000 pF max, but that's enough to simulate cable loading.

4. So they aren't really useful enough for use as part of the tone circuit? From what I know about capacitors (not a huge amount) that sounds fair enough, as a component they aren't really suited to being adjustable.

Josh D