Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Capacitor value for Tone Pot - Villex

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Maurice Carr, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    Does anyone know what value capacitor I should use on a logrithmic high 500k tone pot for Villex MM style passive pickups.

I have a wiring diagram supplied by William and also have the mid pot which was supplied with the two pickups.

In asking William about which pots to use, he advised Linear for Volume, logrithmic for tone but offered no advice for the capacitor value on the tone pot, save to just use "standard ones for bass"

Trouble is, I have no idea what a "standard one for bass is"

Any clues anybody?

Mo

2. 0.047 uF (or 0.05) is pretty much standard for basses. You may try 0.033 or even 0.022 for a subtler effect or 0.1 for a more dramatic one.

3. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Hey thanks - that's great - Mo

4. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    'nuther question - would you agree Lin for Vol and Log for Tone?

Mo

5. Well, I (and most manufacturers) always use Log for volume too, generally a Lin volume pot has little effect down to 2-3, and then it's almost like an on-off switch. OTOH, if the manufacturer recommends linear, maybe there's something different about his pickups or the way he does the wiring that makes it work better with a linear pot.

6. nutcracker

nutcracker

Sep 3, 2003
    Using log taper for volume pot on basses or gutars, is an old time mistake.They are good only for the applications where you use mostly begining of the pot. Like on amps. On guitars and basses you control output from max toward min so you actually move against the log. Linear will be much better.
    The ideal taper will be class "C" which has reverce log
    but those are very hard to find. We are planning in future
    carry specially designed "C" taper volume pots.
    Respectfully,
    William Villex.

7. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004

William!

Many thanks for your reply.

Mo