1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

capacitor value, x vs. y, the basics...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Black Sheep, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Dec 29, 2009
    Fair Hill, MD
    I am putting together a (mostly) warmoth jazz fretless with Barts set up passive. Someone at Warmoth recommended a .022uf cap, while the standard seems a .047uf. I have searched this somewhat, but what is the very basic difference here? Will one roll off highs more aggressively? Any difference at 100% on tone pot? I am using 3 250K pots.

2. 0.022uF cuts treble at a higher frequency than 0.047uF.

IME, it's a useless value in a bass, but some like it.

Don't expect much treble cut.

3. Muaguana

Muaguana

Jul 28, 2009
    Buy both caps and try them out. They're not very expensive and pretty easy to put in/swap out. I used a .022ufF cap on my fretless jazz for a while. It was all right, but I eventually went back to the .047uF for the reason stated above.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021