1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Capacitor Voltage Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dwc3690, Mar 28, 2009.

1. I am installing new capacitors in my bass. I know the difference between a .1uf to a .022uf, however I am unsure about voltage. 100v, 200v, 400v, etc... What do I choose? I would love to understand this aspect of capacitors for the future.

Thanks,
    Dan C.

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

You can always use cap with a higher voltage rating in place of one with a lower rating. (i.e. a 400v cap can replace a 100v one).

Higher-voltage units are larger and more expensive.

In your bass, voltages are perhaps 9v or 18v, so virtually any cap will handle that. There are a few 5v caps; avoid those.

3. Thanks! I also see a 10% or 20% on these capacitors, what is that about? Also, is there a difference in sound between the voltages?

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    200v is fine.

The % markings are tolerances (the specified value plus or minus x%).

5. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Charge stored is half C.V squarred... Oh god college!!! ha
    I dunno does joules make any difference at that level of voltage but avoid the 5v ones.. capacitors can be subjectable to heat gain and losses.. in theory the higher voltage ones will stay coolest, but arent really the best.. i go with 100v ones most of the time..