1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Capo for bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, May 9, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Anyone use a capo on their bass? Is there any point to it? I'm wondering if I should find my old one, but I have a feeling it would be kinda useless. Thoughts?

2. I say its pretty much useless. I mean, what would be the point? Whatever note your trying to fret using the capo can be found other places on the neck, on other strings. Or you could just do what real men do and stretch your hand:D Jk. But I really see no point to it, because it also limits your bass to ranges above the capo, and what if you need to go back down low? But thats just me. Try it out, maybe it could turn out useful.

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
  4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I use one, we have a song where I play a pedal tone C, 8th fret-E string, which is held by the capo, while I'm playing a melody part higher up with the drone ringing underneath. It's only as "useless" as you make it, it's a tool, use it or don't.

5. Nooco

Nooco

May 4, 2006
    Finland
    What is a capo?

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    One of those little clamps you frequently see acoustic guitarists use, to change the tuning key of the instrument.

IMHO, one would be useful to clip on, to suddenly have a bass tuned to Eb.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I've never understood the guitarists who use a capo and then play barre chords. What's the point?

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    *shrug*

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    A pretty popular opinion (or at least one I have seen fairly often, and personally agree with) is that getting your transposition skills in top form negates the need for a capo.

Now I just need to get my transposition skills in top form...

10. For bass, I can see the pedal tone w/ higher melody being useful. But for just changing keys...lazy :)

11. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Could be cool... if you want to become known as "the Albert Collins of the bass".