1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Capo? **guitar**

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by James_B, Apr 14, 2009.

1. When reading a tab off the internets or any written music, and the song needs a capo, am I suposed to use the chord shape or find actualy chord in it's new position?

Yes, I'm trying to play Slide by the goo goo dolls:D

2. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    It depends on who wrote the tab, usually there's a note at the top explaining how they have dealt with expressing the Capo. If it doesn't say then it's probably not a very well written tab. Also, couldn't you just listen to the song and try it both ways to see which is right?

3. Hi.

The way I understand Your question, the answer is to use the same fingering as you would when the "capo" is in the E so to speak, ie. the open tuning.

Think of it this way. You downtune half a step, then put a capo on the first fret. The tuning is now the same as the "standard" open tuning.

Damn that explanation shows my lack of english skills... :(. Hope it helps even a bit though.

Regards
    Sam

4. Usually people use capos on guitars so that they can play the same song in a different key but still play open chords such as G, Am, F, etc. without barring it. There is a difference in the sound of open chords and barred chords since many open chords are fuller because you can play all 6 strings, thus adding to the chord.

If the song is requiring you to use a capo I'd suggest using the capo in order to play the same full sounding chord. It's much easier to mix open chords with other chords as well, at least in my experience.

5. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    My band uses capos a lot and it still messes with my head.....espically since we downtune :)

Basically, slap a capo on the indicated fret, play the chords indicated in their normal shapes. All the capo does is basically move the nut. So, if you play a G chord..... then slap a capo on the 2nd fret (two half steps), and play a G chord, now it's pretty much an A chord. Quick and easy key change without changing the color of the song. If you were playing bass, and learned the song in G, and the guitarists capo'd the second fret, you'd move the whole pattern up two half steps to start on A. Same pattern, different fret.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    We use capo ALL THE TIME in my church group. Basically any song that requires a Gm chord gets a capo. I don't care how good a guitar player you are, a barred Gm sounds like crap. Also songs which are written in Bb to accomodate a horn section often work best with a capo. A clever guitar player in an ensemble with multiple guitars will use a capo just to get different chord voicings. The acoustic player in my band does it all the time using capos and alternate tunings and it really fills out the sound.

My problem is I read bass from the guitar music so I'm intent on the non-capo chords, which are usually right beneath the capo chords in our church music. So on those occasions when I play guitar invariably I'll hit the non capo chord and MAN is it ever OFF!! OOPS! :)