Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Capo on a bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, May 12, 2005.

1. Would this work? If it did it'd mean i could put it on the first fret of my 5 string and have the bass tuned CFA#D#G# for this metal project.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Capo's are used on guitars so that chords can be played that can't possibly be played with the four fingers in any other manner. What could you POSSIBLY be attempting on bass that would require a capo, other than a shortcut for technique deficiencies?

No offense, but you always seem to be searching for weird ways of doing things instead of just learning to play effectively. If you spent half as much effort practicing your technique as you do monkeying with such things, you'd rival Victor Wooten . . .

3. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I can think of legitimate musical uses - chords over a low pedal tone, Bolt Thrower style riffs in C etc. However, I'll say this: if you're a metal bassist and you use a capo you WILL be laughed at.

4. Capos are for guitars.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Tell that to Michael Manring.... :rolleyes:

Yes, you can use a capo on your bass. The problem will be finding one that will fit across a 5 string neck with enough downward pressure for all 5 strings. It's not ideal, and I would think of it more as a quick fix as opposed to a way to get around retuning.

I've got a capo that I use on occassion when I'm trying for something different. I find that it works best if I only put it on the top 3 strings, or so.

6. Ill remember that when I start doing virtuoso solo shows, etc.., but while Im holding the pocket in my rock band, the only capo youll see is on the guitar.

7. I don't care. People can laugh, If they want to do it to my face, they see what happens.

8. Stop it Nick. You're scaring the horses. :D :D :D :D

9. I use capos often.
    Capo of choice? Shubb.

10. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    why?

11. why not?

12. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Well, if we all based our tools on what one person was using in a rock band, we'd be a boring lot, wouldn't we? :D

13. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I've experimented with them on bass. Never really got anywhere or came up with anything interesting.

But if you want to use one, there's no law stopping you from doing so. Don't worry about people laughing at you. I remember seeing the band Morphine and watching people laugh at Mark Sandman because he was playing a two string bass with a slide. You never know--you just might hit on an idea that works and becomes part of your sound.

14. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    *slaps forehead*

:rollno:

Does the phrase "one step forward, two steps back" ring a bell?

15. Indeed it does. :D

16. Oh yeah. Well if we all played fretless Bongos we'd........

well, have good sounding fretless basses. Jerk. :D

17. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Martin from Opeth uses a capo on several songs off Damnation that are keyed in F# and G#.

If you only want to make a 5 string go from B to C, just gauge the strings down a hair and tune up. Problem solved.

18. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I use a capo occasionally. Since I have a 5 string, i'll put it where the D is on the 5 string and then you're down a whole step. Same with Eb if you want to tune down a half step.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What's with the anti capo crew? Ever taken into account transposing a song to a different key? You can alter your tuning without touching the tuning knobs... I don't see why this is a bad idea...

... oh my god... I'm fighting on the same side as NicktheBassist... :crying: :D

20. Hannibal Lecter move over, new scary guy in town!

Just buy light gauge strings and tune up.