Capoeira vs. playing bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I am considering taking up capoeira, a Brazilian martial arts form. It requires alot of work on your hands, and I'm a little worried about my wrists. I don't know of any people complaining of tendinitis from this, but I don't know that many capoeira artists who play bass.

Any martial artists out there with some insight? Can you do activity like this and not damage your mad bass playing skills?
  2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    I worked with a guy that did Tae Kwan Do and he used to practice punching the large steel plumbing pipes in his basement. His hands and especially the knuckles were totally messed up. I've heard advanced practitioners of the Chinese "Iron Hand" technique have no feeling in their hands, and their hands actually look like a corpse's hand. As a matter of fact once they get to a certain point they only continue training one hand so the other one can still be used to carry out normal daily activities.

I wasn't aware that Capoeira included that type of training. But there are plenty of other martial arts styles that don't require the same type of callous-building hand-destroying training, for example Jiu-Jitsu or Aikido. Or go for something that emphasizes kicking more than punching. Bottom line is, use your common sense. You're a bass player, protect your hands!