Capoing on the bass?

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Guitarrista, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Hi Mike,

I know that you play solo bass a lot of the time, but I was just wondering from curiosity, do ever use a capo on some occasions? I know Michael Manring has, once or twice with his solo stuff.

On another note............

Also with your solo bass books "The Chordal Approach" Vols 1 and 2, there's also a local Sydney bassist by the name of Steve Hunter ( who's completing a book + Cd publication of twenty solo pieces for 4 stringed bass. He even released a solo bass album in the 90's called 'Night People'.

The solo bass research is going just fine! :cool:
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The only reason to use a capo (as I see it) is to move the tuning of a guitar up sao you can still play open chords. There is not so much the need for this on bass. I know od some capos that only work on certain strings. That might come in handy, but with M. Manring's Zon Hyperbass and the ability to change tunings with the flip of a switch, it is probably not necessary for him

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I visited Steve Hunter's web site and saw nothing of the project or of his solo bass work. I am, as always, interest in that sort of work

4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I tried it for a brief period - I had the concept that it would be nice to have a low D available at times but that a lot of songs would be easier in standard tuning so I detuned to DGCF and used a capo.

However, I didn't really find any benefit and so gave up on that pretty quickly... ended up with a six string instead ;)

5. I use a partial capo on bass now and then, mainly for the purposes of altering open string and natural harmonic pitches, as opposed to altering keys. It's really a lot more useful for guitar, but I like the ability to mess with the pattern of natural harmonics.

A Hyperbass is a far more elegant and useful way to change open string pitches, but at more than list AU$9000, I'm sticking with the $10 capo mod. :)
  6. Yeah, I guess you guys are right. The only scenario I can possibly think of for a capo (besides the harmonics and open strings usage) is to have the pitch moved up so that the Michael Dimin style chording doesn't sound too muddy in open position.

Gee whiz, I never knew hyperbasses were that dear! 9000 Aussie dollars would buy you two good quality guitars.