Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

capos?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Nov 10, 2003.

1. does anybody make capos for basses?

2. I think you can just use a regular capo, cant you?

3. im not sure, lol, thats why im askin

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Any capo will do the job.
    Not very useful though.

5. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    capo, for bass? why?

6. I'll use capo's for bass sometimes. Say I play with a band that plays in one whole step down tuning. We have one cover that is in standard. If you have only one bass, I would think it would be a pain to tune up, then back down again.

7. They are useful when measuring relief when setting up your bass, along with feeler gauges. See some other threads in this setup forum for the technique.

8. What he said.

They'd also be good if you play a lot of natural harmonics, theres some notes you can't hit [easily]. Whack a capo on and the world is your oyster.

Josh D

Edit: natural as opposed to artificial.

9. so can i just use a regular clip on capo for bass?

10. Depending on how many strings and the neck profile, yes.

A six string with a fatter and wider neck might be a tough fit; for a 4 string with a jazz style neck and spacing you should be fine up to the 5th fret. (I'm on the road without a bass right now, so someone should check this for you.)

11. what about a p-bass neck?

12. P Bass neck is likely still OK for a regular guitar capo.