1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cappuzi recording

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by peglegmeg, Apr 19, 2006.

1. peglegmeg

peglegmeg

Mar 6, 2006
    CA
  2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I don't think it sounds that bad. What did you use to record yourself? This may sound silly, but in the past I've set a microphone in one corner of a room and played facing the opposite corner. The sound wasn't as direct and I was able to get a fuller sound. Try different things.

I think that your recording quality will be good enough for a summer camp. Nice work.

Joe

3. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    You have a great tone when you play. Though I don't think the style really fits the Capuzzi. I would picture as much more upbeat, jovial, and less serious. Try making the sound much less legato and literally more pompous :) Afterall it is the Capuzzi.

4. I think you mean ponderous, snakewood, but I agree, it should be lighter. I also agree that your tone is very good. but since I can't see your bowing, it's hard to tell what you are doing. You may want to play with a bit less pressure and closer to the bridge. also, make sure the strings are cleaned of all rosin buildup before you start playing. I was surprised at how much difference this makes in smoothing out the sound.

5. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Hmm yeah I think I hear what you mean and I work on this issue in my own playing also.

You probably know the 3 key concepts to bowing: weight, speed and placement. You could try to change one or more of these factors while you bow a passage and see if there's any improvement.

I have noticed a tendency in my own playing at times to react with my right hand in the same manner as with my left, which isn't always the best way to do things. For example, when I'm "snapping" a finger onto the fingerboard to get that crisp, confident fingering of a line (say, playing legato but still wanting clarity in the notes and not a bunch of mush) it can risk a corresponding movement in the right hand for me, which transfers to unnecessarily pressing down on the string with the bow...a grittier sound for sure.

Just things to think about maybe. Thanks for sharing!

6. I just re-read your post, and I take back my correction. My mistake:oops:
    More pompous, less ponderous.(But that doesn't mean my other comments are not valid:smug: )

7. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I notice myself doing the opposite. Specifically, I'll relax my left hand when I'm trying to play something very soft and smooth. This ends up making the notes scratch out due to lack of string 'stoppage' against the fingerboard. It seems to be one of those bad habits that I'm working at getting rid of now.

8. peglegmeg

peglegmeg

Mar 6, 2006
    CA
    I think I might be oneo f those who press down on the strings with extra force. Hmm.

9. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm starting to understand that this post had nothing to do with recording techniques...

;)

Joe

10. peglegmeg

peglegmeg

Mar 6, 2006
    CA
  11. No malice intended, but it sounds like it.

12. peglegmeg

peglegmeg

Mar 6, 2006
    CA
    Ouuch. I picked this one because even though there were a lot of mistakes, I thought it flowed the most.

13. It's obvious you know the notes,but overall you are playing it with all the expression of...A simandle etude. Same dynamics throughout, metronomic tempo,sounds like you're plowing through it for the tenth time. I'm not saying this as a beat down, but I think you are capable of playing this more musically.:)

14. Nazar Jazz

Nazar Jazz Guest

Apr 21, 2006
    good intonation, very solid, good luck improving it! maybe contrast between the themese would be something to think about.

15. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    In regards to the Bach.

1. There are many different ways to play Bach, none being incorrect. But I personally think less vibrato (if not almost none) well make you realize that there are a lot of things you can do with dynamics to make this affective. If you vibrate over every note and play everything the same dynamic it isn't very effective. Try looking through the score slowly and find place that you feel you can bring the music out more effectively using a wider spectrum of dynamics.

2. Articulation: I personally find it much too choppy and marcato. I think the introduction needs to be VERY legato, and much softer in volume.

Keep up the good work, I'm working on the sixth suite (in pitch), I really adore this piece.
    :bassist:

16. pat1151

pat1151

Jun 22, 2004
    Montreal, Quebec
    I'm not too sure about the scratchness, but my two pointers are that you should watch your intonation, aswell as lay back on the vibrato, i feel it's a little too much.

17. lilleece

lilleece

May 22, 2006
    Indpls,IN
    I personally thought it was pretty good at the beginning but then seemed to drag on.