1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Caps , Caps , and Capacitors ! "CAPS" !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supershifter2, Nov 23, 2017.

1. supershifter2

supershifter2

Apr 22, 2014
    SoCal
    I and going to recap my 1972 Blue Line Magnavox SVT. Is there a "best place" to buy newly made(not nos) multitap can caps ?

2. Try...
    Allied Electronics
    Newark Electronics
    DigiKey
    Mouser
    Jameco

Not sure what you mean by "best", but these are all reliable, go-to mail order e suppliers.

supershifter2 likes this.
  3. What’s wrong with your SVT that makes you think it needs new caps?

ThisBass and agedhorse like this.
  4. supershifter2

supershifter2

Apr 22, 2014
    SoCal
    Old caps can melt down and cause a mess and sometimes damage other parts. I had a cap in a 50 watt Dynaco melt down in the 70's and it wasnt good. I have seen the results of a few 30+yo caps that melted down. The insulation between the metal foil will eventually crack and the foils will arc and it melts down. And the voltage is in the 100's.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I typically suggest to leave well enough alone, unless there is a very good reason for changing something.

(I often see the results of such projects gone wrong and it's usually worse than simply leaving it alone.

6. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Repair shop rates:

$10/hr we repair it
    $15/hr you repair it
    $20/hr we repair it, you watch

:D :D :D

7. supershifter2

supershifter2

Apr 22, 2014
    SoCal
    I have r
    I have recapped many amps over the years. I will have to charged myself $50/hr if you watch me.

BadExample likes this.
  8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The original cap cans in the SVT from that era are the weakest part of the amp. If they are original from 1972, they should be checked out.

If the caps do need to be replaced: If you want to use the original FP type cap cans, Antique Electronic Supply (CE Manufacturing) sells them. Everything is on sale there now. They bought the original Mallory tooling and produce the caps. There’s an electrolytic cap in the top (preamp) chassis, don’t overlook that one. I like the F&T axial cap in that position that AES sells.

Personally, I prefer not to use these cap cans. Most people like to keep the original look and use them. Modern capacitors are way better. Retrofitting a modern cap can be a problem and that requires either drilling holes in the chassis for mounting clamps or designing a custom circuit board.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  9. That's cool! I did not know that!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  10. Nor did I yet there is this tickle of familiarity that tells me I once did know. I hate my poor memory!! :(

Old Garage-Bander likes this.