Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Car Advice/Question - Effects of high speed for long periods of time?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I recently drove my 2001 F-150 SuperCrew ~85 mph for about 5 hours straight. Obviously it wasn't completely non-stop at that constant speed, but that was where my cruise was set and what I never went above while driving.

I was simply wondering if there are any adverse long-term effects of driving fairly fast for a long time. It was only at about 2400 rpm the majority of the time, so the truck wasn't wound extremely tight the whole trip.

Anything really wrong with it (besides the fact that I was speeding, which I'm well aware of)?

2. If you were only in 2400 RPM most of the time, it shouldn't do any damage. but 2400 @ 85mph?

but I don't know much about cars.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hey The_Bass, you've got my birthday too! :cool:

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    It's an American truck. They have low revs.

5. As long as the tranni is made strong, there really shouldn't be any problems. Just keep her in good shape, you know, regular oil changes, tire rotation, fliud levels, that sort of thing.

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

6. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    but he said it was a ford... lookout for those problems...

85 isnt wouldnt be that hard on your car. 2400 is pretty high on a domestic truck but its not *that* high. i usually dont drive under 3500, but then i like to get the most out of my driving time ;)

7. Overdrive transmission. Makes it real hard to gain any speed, but makes it more efficient. I turn ~2200 at 65 in overdrive, and 3500 at 65 in regular high gear in my Ranger.

8. ah... I didn't think about what kind of car it was.

:)

9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    HEY! :mad:

Ford is the best. Ours are: '85 Bronco II, '96 F-150 singlecab (my actual truck), '01 F-150 SuperCrew (soon to be mine), '01 F-350 SuperDuty Diesel (NEVER be mine :p ).

We have had so few problems with our cars that it's really kinda ridiculous. We all take good care of our vehicles so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but absolutely NOTHING but basic maintenence on any of the ones I mentioned.

Well, no problems as of yet with the tranny. I got the oil changed right before I left on the trip, so that's not a problem. Basic maintence is always performed on time or early.

I didn't suspect that there would be any problem, especially since (as everyone mentioned) it's an overdrive transmission and doesn't rev real high (except on this long Ozark hills....she screamed a time or two!).

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Dude.....when did you show back up anyways? I had a thread about you, but I've been gone so long myself that I didn't ever see you come back!

Welcome back!

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    No, I dont see any problems with it. Even at 3000 rpm you'd be ok.

12. Just a few weeks ago. Work has kinda gotten in the way.

Speaking of which, I must leave now. I'll come back tomorrow, as it's my day off. My offer of discounts to TBers is still valid (I have no shame, I'll plug my store on the internet!!:D)

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well, by God......I think 3000 rpm is about 92 or 93. Now I know my cruising speed next trip :p :D

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You might notice the paint beginning to peel slightly, or at least get pulled towards the rear of the truck.

At around 90 the whistling from the side mirrors can cause permanent hearing damage, and you also risk a pitted windshield due to abrasion from the Earth's atmosphere.

Much faster than that, and the tires will begin to melt. This can actually be beneficial as they will stick to the road and prevent you from speeding up any further, saving you from imminent disaster.

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    . . . just kidding

:p

16. The RPMs were low, so you would not have a problem there, the only issue you would want to be concerned about are your tires. On sports cars, the tires are speed rated, which means that the tires can hold up to set speeds for a long time.
    I do not know if that would be an issue at the speed you were travelling, but I would certainly check it out because chances are youre tires will not hold up to that kind of beating for many trips.

Good luck, and drive safely.:D