Car Advise?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gazman_res, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Hi Guys, wondering if you could help me out.

I was looking at getting a '93 Mitsubishi Galant v6 Auto 5dr Hatch.

It had a nice price tag, but insurance is kinda high. Also i havent heard good things about Mitsubishi australian made cars (such as lancers & Mirages) apparently they run high in maintenance.

But i think that this car is a Japanese Import.

Well anyway, any help is much appreciated.
  2. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Well I think first thing first, find out EVERYTHING POSSIBLE about the car, I'm suprised you don't know if it's a import or not.
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I would steer away from the Galant because parts will be hard to come by if they break down. I have never heard of any significant problems with the Lancer's and Mirages, my GF has a 94 lancer and it never has any problems at all.

BTW I assume you mean a 5dr hatch as im not sure where they fit the extra door.

My advice is get the cheapest mechnically sound car you can afford - like a cheap Hyundi Excel with lowish K's would be a good choice for example. The reason is:

a) cars suck money hard - even cheap ones are expensive to repair. Therefore get a cheap one that is mechnically sound rather than a cooler but harder to fix car

b) you will want a new car when you get more money - you will loose less on a used cheap car than a more expensive one

c) you are young and chances are you will crash or get hit - you are better off having a cheap car with cheaper insurance or the ability to self insure

Also, if you can drive one, get a manual - cheaper to run and repair than an auto - you are also less likely to talk on your mobile while driving a manual and therefore a safer driver! :D
  4. All true Mark, thanks for the advise guys.

I guess im lookin into cars that can move gear, My dad drives a Tarago, but i know i cant borrow it all the time since most of the time my parents are down at Port Stephens which is about 2-3 hrs from where we live, we own a nice holiday/investment place there.

Anyway, i guess i might steer clear of it. But dammit I am NOT gonna buy an Exel..those things give me the creeps! yikes! :D
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You guys have toyota pickups down there?
  6. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Galant parts aren't that hard to find. Is it a VR4 by any chance? Those are pretty quick, could be why insurance is high.
  7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Maybe not in Connecticut, but "Down Under" they probably are.
  8. We don't have too many vr4s around. If we do, they're getting put into Lancers at around 5K for the install. If you do have engine problems with the galant, you can get parts off of another 4g63 engine (ie. Evo), but it'll cost ya. I looked into a galant when I was choosing a car but suddenly stopped because imports are near impossible to get comprehensive insurance on.

I agree with Mark. Lancers are very reliable in Aust and parts are dirt cheap. My car has great fuel economy and I give it a booting, too. I currently own a 94' CC coupe Glxi and I haven't had a single problem with it. My mum used to own a CC coupe Gl and had no problems, hence why she bought a CE coupe and has had no issues since. A close friend of mine has just bought a CB sedan and she hasn't had any problems either. My point? Lancers are like any car - when buying a car that is 12 years old, you're going to have problems no matter what type. You just need to find one that has been taken care of. Unless you have 3K to spend on insurance, don't even bother with a galant.

9. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I've owned two Mitsu Monteros, a 90 and replaced it with a 97. Both V6's. All Mistu V6's burn a little oil but other than that they were and are great vehicles. My 90 had over 250,000 miles, was on its second clutch and ran strong. It was a monster, nothing could kill it (and I tried). My 97 is well built and runs great, I went with an auto trans on this one.

Plus they both had enough room to haul all my bass equipment.
  10. Thanks for the advise guys!

My loan just got approved this week and its sittin in the bank (its only $12k). But my the temptation to go spurge that on bass gear! :D

I might look elsewhere.. i like lancers, but no boot space for me.. i might look into other similiar hatches.

Thanks heaps!
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Less money spent on the vehicle, more for bass.

12. If the engine is the Vr4 that car will move and it is practically bomb proof. (All forged internals, could probably handel 500 whp no problem) Its one of those engines that the street racers love to trick out. So if its well maintained you may have a good deal on your hands.

Pull the tires and check the brake roters and calipers, those can be $$$. Mitsus tranies and transfercases are a week point so have a trany expert look into it. other than that MitsubishiUSA $ucks donkey privates and I would never by another Mitsubishi new (they just don't give service or honor warranties In my dealings) but you wont have warranty issues. + there are tons of aftermarket parts for that car.
  13. Buy American, and an older model (60's and 70's) They are the easiest to work on, parts are easy to get a hold of (either through local dealers or online) and the are cheap to buy and insure.

::Goes and stands on soapbox::

In my opnion, the government should give a taxbreak for every computer circuit and sensor that can be removed from the design of a car!!

::scattered cheers and applause::

Rock on
  14. Yeah!!!

A vehicle with the GM 350!!!

That engine is tha cat's pajamas!!

Even someone who's "not the sharpest tool in the sky" can work on one of those and make it go fast.
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

In Australia?
  16. Where is there not a GM 350? Jeepers, I think I've seen them in Hubble telescope photos. They're everywhere.
  17. Bump!

Guys just wanted to let you know that i negotiated the price down and bought the car. Its smooth as butter but car hunting took its toll on me today and I will try and get some pics and stuff when I'm up to it.

Heading off to GF place now, but thanks again to everyone who pitched in to offer advise!

Cheers all
  18. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I hope you didn't end up going with the Mitsu. The 93's had BAAAAAD computer probs. The capacitors get warm and pop and leak. This wil; destroy the computer, and very likely the ignition system. I have one sitting at my parent's place and it has been there for a year. It is a 4 cyl, but the coputers were built from very similar components. I paid $220 for a computer rebuild, and I need 300 more for the distributor, coil, and module.
  19. My 93 has been running better than fine! :)

20. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I hope it keeps that up. The computer problems come without warning, really. My wife stopped at a gas station to get something to drink, and when she came back out, the car wouldn't start. Computer was fried. Ford (anal) Probes also have the same problem. Most of Mitsu's stuff from 90-94 had this problem.