Car amp as poweramp? / TS-50B extra power ideas?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnnysomersett, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. johnnysomersett

johnnysomersett

Apr 23, 2015
    So, theoretically, say I have an amp head, that sounds great but woefully underpowered (50w!)... rather than lumber around a rack-mounted poweramp...is there any reason why you couldn't use a car audio amplifier rigged in the back of the head to serve as a slave? (the amp has a line out).

There's no small form-factor poweramps around that are designed outside of the rack-enclosure parameters, and can be rather expensive. Car amps are often quite small and, once you've sorted a power adaptor to deliver the 12v DC it would expect, and made a couple of adaptor cables to connect...essentially you can have it all in one portable package.

Thoughts?

*EDIT as this was pointlessly ambiguous:

I have a Traynor TS-50B that I need to be louder. I dont want to haul a whole seperate rack poweramp as Ive done that before and didnt like it. Does anyone know of a solution that I can mount inside the existing head (on the empty part at the bottom of the shell) that I can 'line in' for more power? Preferably +500w-ish. Nothing too expensive.

Really, I just need a small poweramp.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  2. Someone with more experience will weight in on this but from my understanding watts are watts but car audio watts are used to process already compressed (or processed) signal like a fully mixed song vs an unprocessed instrument like a bass. That's just what I was told before regarding this subject.

3. No point in even trying to adapt a car amp for bass use. Just buy a micro and use the power section.

B-string, Chef and amusicalperson like this.
  4. johnnysomersett

johnnysomersett

Apr 23, 2015
    Any suggestions on economically priced micro's that would suit? Guess I'd be looking for 500w approx

5. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Why not just get a bass amp with more output? There are plenty of very good sounding micro bass heads to be had in this era.
    From what little I know of car audio, most amplifiers have a crossover to separate the bass from the mids and highs. This is exactly the reverse approach from what you would want to achieve.

amusicalperson likes this.
  6. I have the Fender Rumble 500 watt head with a 2x8 cabinet. I was using an SVT with a 4x10. I love my little setup. Sounds great. VERY LIGHT and VERY PORTABLE!

MTFD24 likes this.
  7. The power supply would be larger and heavier than the amp itself. It would require massive amounts of filtering on the D.C. line. Stuff made for cars is generally designed to run on a 13.8 volt D.C. not from a 12 volt wall wart, if that's what you had in mind. Even with an automotive alternator elctrical system which is A.C. the battery acts as a filter. Without the battery, you'd need some seriously large filter capacitors to keep the ripple (A.C.) on the D.C. line low enough so that you don't hear power line hum. Consider that you often see seriously large filter caps being used with these amps even in a car. The car battery also acts to keep the voltage at a constant level during peak usage. If the amp was not designed to run from an A.C. wall outlet, you could be disappointed with the performance. Part of what you pay for in a standard amp head is the power supply to run the amp properly.

8. johnnysomersett

johnnysomersett

Apr 23, 2015
    The amp in question is a Traynor TS-50B...which has a very particular sound that I like, but want louder

This -----^ is exactly the kind of in-depth reasoning I needed to know why it probably wouldn't work.

Looks like I gotta find a little class D amp with line in to rig into the back of the head

9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 or 6.2
    Gallien-Krueger MB500
    Aguilar Tone Hammer 500
    Kustom KBX500
    Carvin BX500

The forum is filled with hundreds of threads on these heads. Shop used to save $$.

Look at the Traynor SB500H as it might have a preamp and EQ closest to what you use.

SirMjac28 and NWF Bassist like this.
  10. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Huh? Do you mean that the ones that are available tend to be expensive? [​IMG]

11. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    Crate Power Block
    Used Musical Instruments & Gear | Guitar Center

Kickass and SirMjac28 like this.
  12. johnnysomersett

johnnysomersett

Apr 23, 2015

All of those suggestions are probably too large to squeeze into the existing head space, or are likely quite expensive. Also, none have a "power amp in"-type input.

Yeah, think I got myself muddled up a bit there!

13. johnnysomersett

johnnysomersett

Apr 23, 2015
    Seems a shame to buy a whole amp (with preamp etc) just to use the power section...seems weird no-one just makes a little class D (or similar) poweramp!

14. All they need is an FX loop

bebass likes this.
  15. johnnysomersett

johnnysomersett

Apr 23, 2015
    Yeah? That's good. Never used an FX loop as I'm a tad 'old-school'...so never learnt about them

16. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    OK, let's start at the beginning. What's your budget and what are your size constraints?

AlexanderB and mbelue like this.
  17. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Defining your goals better will always provide better results. If you had started this by saying "I have a Traynor TS-50B that has a unique sound I love, but want it louder. Ideally, the solution would fit in the empty part of the head (insert photo) and wouldn't be really expensive." You would get more concise answers to the question.

18. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    What 50w amp do you already have?
    Is it a combo?
    Are you sure the great sound you amp has even comes from the preamp?

Don't be afraid of the new micro amps. There are many available, you'll surely find one that you like the sound of.

19. johnnysomersett

johnnysomersett

Apr 23, 2015
    Size needs to be less than or equal to: 17" wide, 5" High and about 6-7" deep
    Budget I guess would be a few hundred bucks / couple of hundred pounds (I'm in the UK) but stretchable for the right thing

20. johnnysomersett

johnnysomersett

Apr 23, 2015
    True. I guess I was being ambiguous for no real reason. Apologies. Maybe I should start again!

Original post footnoted for clarity.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021