1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Car audio cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by indykrap, May 2, 2006.

1. indykrap

indykrap

Nov 6, 2004
    I've been to a few car audio stores recently, and I've noticed quite a bit of empty cabinets around. This got me thinking, would those sound any good if I installed a bass speaker in one, and used it like any normal cab?

Any experiences?

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    let me guess, they are sealed boxes?

In a word, no. Car Audio boxes are designed to take advantage of the fact that you are cramming a box into a very small space, which would sound loud.

Pro-Audio and Bass guitar speakers are generaly much larger, much more efficient, ported, and designed to throw the sound outward to a much larger area.

3. skadet

skadet

May 2, 2006
    It would work just fine. The problem, though, is that the vast majority of sub cabinets are poorly made (either poorly designed or poorly manufactured or both), and you won't get enough cone area to play effectively. In, say, your room it'll sound great (practice cab, perhaps?), but nowhere else.

4. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    Haha funny that you should mention this....

About a year ago, my old band needed something to hear vocals with just for practice. We wired some cheap 30 dollar car speakers to a stereo and used the imput on that to add our mixer.........lol

5. indykrap

indykrap

Nov 6, 2004
    Hmm, cause my thought here is mainly to build a small 1x10 or 1x12 to use with my head at home and in my dorm, basically. It'd probably cost under 200$ (canadian), so i'm thinking of it.

6. More or less right

However, i will point out that what is possibly the most regarded bass cab, the Ampeg 810 (sorry berg guys and such, but the fact is this the cab you see all the time and is used by im betting the majority of pro's) is a sealed cab! Your sealed vs ported theory is wrong :p

7. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    No it wouldn't. Car audio drivers have vastly different specs from pro audio drivers. Most of those boxes are around a cubic foot and sealed. Stick a pro audio driver in there and you will be sorely disappointed.