Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Car Audio Experts - In HERE!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jeff Rader, Apr 29, 2004.

1. I am planning a system for my 2003 Mustang Cobra vert. I am so confused on amps that it's driving me nuts.

Here's what I think I want to do:

Eclipse HU (probably the CD8454)
    Focal 165W (already have these)
    2 Focal 5WS (either in the back or in the front leg area - I have these)
    Sub if necessary (probably a 10-12" JL Audio W6)

I'm going for sound quality, not spls.

I would like to do a US Amps TU-4360 tube amp (4 channel) which would give me 75 wpc into 4 ohms (90 into 2 ohms) for the Focals. Is this enough? Are they 2 or 4 ohm?

I would then do a JL Audio 500/1 for a sub if I needed it.

So, is 75 wpc enough? I am open to considering other amps.

Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks!!

<!-- / message -->

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Your setup looks good so far. I'd definitley recommend JL sub amps, be it the 500/1 or 1000/1. I'd assume even 75W per channel would be fine, but I don't know much about Focal. I have heard some Focal stuff at a local store, though, and it sounded damn good. Sorry I can't help more.

Looking for a JL 12w7? I have one that I've been thinking of selling. It's mounted in a 100% plexiglass enclosure, but that probably wouldn't fit in the 'stang.

:bassist:

3. A 12W7 would blow the lid right off the trunk in a mustang :p

Jeff, for a sub, you may need to go for a custom box. I owned a 1992GT convert stang and the trunk was very small...i could not find a production box that would clear the deck lid.

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    :p :p

I'd check out Tweeter for a sub box. They're horribly overpriced there, but I think they have a catalog of JL "stealth" enclosures, or something like that. The enclosures are meant for situations like yours.

:bassist:

5. Hurley dude!! your from the cape?!?!? I live in Hyannis!

6. I'm looking at that JL box as an option.

Tweeter, well, actually all of the car audion places are so overpriced. They talk about the "knowledge" their salemen offer vs. the internet prices. Unforfunately, I know more about the products they sell than most of them - and that's not much!

So, what conditions is that 12W7 in? ;)

Jeff