1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Car audio help!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lammchop93, Oct 15, 2010.

1. So I have a 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada (basically a Chevy Blazer). I have two Rockford 12" sub with a 500w bazooka amp. I have all the power and everything hooked up. All I have left is connecting the actual audio cables(RCA and such) to the head-unit in the front of the car. Here is my problem. My factory stereo has the 32-pin connector and that is it. How am I supposed to connect all of the audio cables coming from my amp for the sub to this factory stereo? I called best buy and they said it can be done without having to buy an aftermarket stereo, but they wouldn't tell me how to do it.

Is there an adapter I need to get to do this? Please help???!!!:confused:

2. There is probably a special connector of some sort that you need to buy. Go to a car stereo place, not best buy, and they should be much more helpful.

lowsound

3. I found out what exactly I need. It is called a Line out converter. It basically takes the two RCA's coming from the amp and converts them into wires that I will tap into the front speaker wires. I just have no idea what it means to tap, and how to do that.

4. Ok I just figured it all out. I will report back tomorrow on how it sounds!

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    It's gonna sound like crap. Get a new head unit with the proper outputs.

But of course with Rockford subs, quality is not what you're after so it might not matter :)

6. I will eventually upgrade, but at the moment, this will have to do. :)

7. Ok, I need help again

I hooked everything up correctly and the subs sounded amazing! I love it. So as I was using them, I closed the trunk door and all of a sudden the amp turned off. There was no light that indicated it was on or anything. I check everything and it all appears to be attached.

I do not know if closing the trunk door did something, or if it was just coincidence. I checked all the fuses and they are all in tact. What could have happened?

My amp is a Bazooka ELA300.1

Edit: I just took out my volt meter and check the leads coming into the amp and the ground and it is all working. So does this mean my amp is fried?

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Since you don't have a proper head unit, how did you wire the remote turn on for the amp?

9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Was there a maximum input rating on the line out converter? Those worked okay when car stereos put out 10 watts a side...I would imagine there's a limit on how much how much wattage you can feed it.

10. I would suggest taking it to a qualified installer. You might think you are saving money by doing it yourself, but in the end, you can mess things up pretty good if you don't know what you are doing. I have been in the mobile electronics business for almost 20 years and have seen many DIY jobs that would have been cheaper to just had them done professionally the first time than what it cost to fix.

11. I found my problem. The ground was not making a solid connection. Everything is working great now and I love it. Thanks for the help everyone!

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Let's see the new system.

-Mike

13. here it is. It fits great. I still have room for my 4x10 and 2x12 cabs, a 6-space rack, and all 3 of my basses. It sounds sick! When I get a chance I'll upload a video of it in action.

IMG_1949.gif
    IMG_2300.gif
    IMG_2301.gif

I have the rope weaving in and out between the ports so that I can tie the box down so it won't slide around. I couldn't drill it down because of the gas tank below.

All the wires are completely sealed. This was the first time I have ever wired anything in a car. I have done electrical work before on circuit boards and many electronic items, so I felt confident in it. The wires run underneath the side paneling. It works great!

14. There is an item called a line out converter, and it takes the AUX cables from the amp, the converts them into bare wire, which I then splice/tap into the appropriate front speaker +/- wires.

15. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Right on man. Congrats on some new bumps.

I am just about done redoing the system in my Ram. All I need now is a sub under the backseat, and I'll be set.

-Mike

16. Bandpass boxes suck, too much thump, not enough note definition.

lowsound

17. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Whatever hater. It's competition bandpass!!

:D

-Mike

18. It is very thumpy, but that is what I am wanting in the system. The speakers that I have in the car have amazing definition for stock speakers. I love it. I'm not wanting the best of the best. Just enough to make me happy.