Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Car Audio Speakers???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Nov 5, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

anyone know of car audio stuff??? didnt know where else i could ask this.

i've been movin' and groovin' to my 200 watt JVC mp3/CD player in my car, and have found that the Honda speakers are a little lacking.

is there a good safe step up that would help in the fidelity? in my Accord, i've got a 6 speaker system: two rear window speakers and two door speakers, two little speakers up near the front windshield on either side of the dash.

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, if the speakers are standard Honda speakers, the easiest way to upgrade would be with getting new speakers. The largest difference can be made with front speakers, as they are nearest to you.

Your front speakers are so called two-way sets, which means they have bass elements in the doors and separate small tweeters on the dashboard. This is very usual in car audio. The back speakers seem to be "integrated" with all the elements in the same bunch. I think name-brand front speaker sets start from $75 or so.

The other thing you could do is add a subwoofer, which usually goes to the trunk, to beef the basses up. If you are getting subwoofer, then you usually need separate power amp, if the woofer ain't one of those self-powered boxed systems you can buy. With power amps, the usual method is to get 4-channel amp where two channels are switched to mono to power the sub, and the other two channels power the front speakers.

All this makes you having to wire your car interiors though, from car battery to the power amp to the speakers, so it's bit more difficult than just swapping the speakers.

3. doood, if you swap out speakers you should consider a brand called MB Quart...they are expensive but they are totally the bomb! Best definition/stereo separation I've heard in car speakers.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

When the car stereo goes...Get a new car.

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Liek previously stated, your best bet would be to simply replace the speaker system you ahve in right now. Infinity makes some very good sounding sets in a large range of OEM replacement styles as well as split high/low crossover setups, and you won't spend a ridiculous amount. To get all the potential form a good set of infinities or any other powerful speaker (kenwood excelons and eclipse are also very nice, but get pricey) you should look into an amplifier though. If you have a Quality auto sound or a car toys near you, they are good people to tlak to about upgrading your system. Don't go to Best buy whatever you do. If your only local option is a large electronics store your best bet is circuit city or soundtrack, but for the most part stick with car audio specialty places.

6. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

Oh oookay. So when your tires go flat you buy a new car? How bout when you run out of gas or need some oil?

You verry smart man, verr smart.

7. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I dunno, my Accord has some pretty nice Pioneers that came OEM. They give plenty of bass out of my 45wx4 head.

(But what works for me may not work for you. Check out Crutchfield to look for the kind of speakers that will work in your car, but try not to buy there, quite overpriced)

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah Joker.. I would get new speakers... A lot of folks upgrade the factory car speakers when they put a subwoofer in...

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey guys,

thx for the input, but i guess i wasnt too clear in saying that i'm already set on getting new speakers.

i just wanted to hear of any brands or makes like the aforementioned Infinity set that i could pop into my car for a dramatic, yet cheap way of improving my car audio's sound.

FYI, i prolly wont invest in a preamp or power amp for it, just want a new set of speakers, hoping that my 200 watt JVC head will juice it enough to get me some nicer tones than the OEM Honda speakers.

i do alot of driving around, and the only time i really do listen to music, besides sittin' in front of my comp talkin' with the TB foos, is in my car.

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I second the Cruthfield recommendation. Lucky for me there is an actual Crutchfield store in Charlottesville. The guys there actually know what they are talking about and can help you out. Once you figure out what you want to get, then you can search around for the best price.

FWIW, my roommate got Infinity speakers front and rear in his '91 Infiniti G20. All powered by a Sony xplode receiver. Sounds pretty good to me.

11. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    Joker, you might want to try a powered Bazooka sub. By installing one in my trunk and using bass blockers on the factory speakers, I was able to upgrade my car's sound for minimal $$. I also used a Sony CD head unit which also cleaned up the sound from the factory speakers. I know my local Circuit City has a Bazooka demo rig that can help you decide if this is a viable option for you. AC

12. well, if the JVC is 6 channels(which it probably isnt), that'll work. but, its probably only 45x4 or something. so what you can do is run your front speakers(dash, door) off the deck. then get a seperate amp to run the rear speakers. then throw in some subs and another amp for them and away you go.

if your not looking to spend much money and still get quality, go with kenwood. thats the best of the cheap stuff. if your speakers are the sizes i think they are( 2-3 1/2's, 2-5's, and 2-6x9's) then you can pick up that for about $250(canadian) with kenwood. BUT, if you want top of the line, get MB Quart or Kicker.

13. spend the bux and get the MB Quart! I have them and they are awesome!!!

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thanks Fetis!

crap, you're right, my JVC's 50 watts x4. but ***? how did the samn Bryn Mawr Audio guy wire my speakers?! :confused:

also, is there a good Kenwood model of speakers you recommend?

15. well, go to futureshop.com and then to mobile audio or whatever it is. there should be a link on the side saying what fits my car. then, just state what type of car you have, and it will tell you what you have for speakers. if you don't want super dooper sound, you can just have the dash and rear speakers, and not worry about the door speakers. thats what i did in my old car. sounded fine. just get the standard level of kenwood that almost any audio store will sell.