Car Audio thread(a new one)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Mar 27, 2005.

1. I'm just getting my car ready to put my new system in it.

It consists of a...

Alpine CDA-9825 h/u
    Hifonics ZX8000 amp
    2xResonant Engineering RE 12" subs
    Temp sealed box for one of them(RE is on back order for the second)
    Real ported(38hz.) box
    Infinity speaks(don't remember what modeal)
    and a whole buncha wires.

Anyone else dabble in car audio?
  2. Very nice gear. The Australian market is unfortunately expensive and very limited compared to the US. Due to that and being a Uni student, I've managed to deck my car out in Kenwood gear. Made some big mistakes along the way - ie. more speakers are not necessarily better - but thankfully they haven't been too costly. Well, except for the Sony 12" Pentag that appeared to be blown then made a miraculous recovery after sitting in my room for 2 months. :help:

Are the Infinity speakers 6" splits? What sort of car is the gear going in?

3. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Sounds like a nice setup, Bryan. :) What is that amp putting out? (Are you gonna use a capacitor?)

I've been using a JL 500/1 with a 12w7. I have mid-level Boston Acoustic speakers in the doors, and some Pioneer deck (y'know, the one that everyone has). Not much, but it does the job. :) I never use the sub anymore, because I'm always needing the cargo room.

4. The amp is 300 watts to the subs, and you only really need a capacitor when you are putting out more than 2000 watts to subs. Anything under that and the capacitor is fairly useless.

At the moment the sub is getting 50 more than the peak wattage, so it'll hit deep and hard, but with two of them I'm underpowering them 25watts each so they won't be up to their maximum capabilities. Although with the higher tuning freq. it will still hit harder than the sealed box, but it won't go as deep. And it won't set off car alarms(neither setups will[only because of the underpowering of the ported box])
  5. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Generally, the rule for caps is 1 farad for every 1000w. You should be fine with your setup, though.

Be sure to post some spl's if you ever get a chance to test it out. :)
  6. I'm gonna bring it a comp just to see what it can do underpowered.

Just for fun. That and smokin' people with JL W0's and W3's.
  7. Um, the doors are the slim fit something, they're 6.5's and they have the speak and the tweeter, and the rears are 6x9's and they have the tweeter thingy too.

And this is all going in my 94' Taurus. With custom smashed bumper and missing trim pieces.
  8. Ok, so they're coaxials - are they Kappas? Heh, the custom work on your Taurus sounds like the 'streamlining' I did to my '94 Lancer on Thursday morning. :rolleyes:

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I just put a Sony CDX-M8800 head unit and Infinity 6000 CS 6.5" component speakers in my Miata. The Sony has a black face, remote control and rear aux input for use with my iPod. I have a 5 channel Directed amp set to go in and am trying to decide on what'll work sub-wise without taking up trunk or rear deck space. I'm looking for something small.

I'm not going to go too crazy in this car, it's a convertible and I've already had my 92 Civic Si broken into twice and been relieved of thousands of dollars worth of gear.
  10. What kind of music do you listen to and what sort of price range are we looking at?

11. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    ALPINE RULES!!!!!!!!................................. That is all.
  12. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Been pondering the same thing, and was thinking about going with some factory-built 8" or 10" to enforce the low end a tad.

I know they aren't the loudest things out there, but at this point I'm looking more for tight and balanced sound than something what can make my ears bleed.
  13. 8" is much better for mid-bass, 10" is punchier, 12" is a good mix of depth and punch, whereas 15" is generally better for booming. Of course, box size/type as well as speaker properties make a big difference, too. My suggestion would be a 10" if you value space.

14. i just had a decent stezza put into my van...

Full Sony Xplòd system:
    -6.5" splits
    -4" two ways
    -6 by 9s
    -500watt amp
    -12" sub

sounds good and can be picked up really cheap. The explod stuff seems to be quite underrated. i think its great, especially at the price (shops usually always have it on sale)
  15. Your sub the pentag design? Sony has had a bad rep for a while and the xplod is starting to shake it, but not nearly enough. Too many try comparing Sony to Infinity, Clarion, Alpine etc. when the prices just aren't even close. For what you pay for Sony gear, it is pretty decent. However, I'll always choose Kenwood over Sony - just my personal preference. I've got 2 x 12" Typhoon subs and I'm so very tempted to add another 2 to really make things crazy.

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I like the SQ side of car audio competitions, but the SPL stuff isn't my bag.

I'm planning a competition level SQ setup for a Dakota that will be mine soon. McIntosh MCC406M six channel amp, McIntosh MX406 head unit, Diamond s600a component sets, Focal 27WX subwoofer, and a ton of Dynamat

My wallet is going to hate me.
  17. the sub isnt the pentag one.... if its what i think it is?.. pentag= sort of pentagon shaped sub and little inner piece?... the sub i hav is second hand... but it was free... i will probably purchase another amp and buy 2 of the pentag subs or just 2 12" subs. i need more THUMP!!!

18. I've got the Alpine 3 disc in-dash changer, and Infinity Kappas in the doors. It's a 2003 Outback, the rear doors are 6.5" and the fronts are 6.5" and have a seperate tweeter unit. The Alpine unit is 40w x4.
  19. If you are looking for performance in subs, RE is the way to go.

The lowest line(what I have) is one of the best daily driver subs for 110 bucks.

And they go into more high performance parts too, you know subs with 6" of excursion. Although to be fair that one isn't out just yet.

For all your subwoofer needs, this site will fill you in. TONS of videos too. I would recomend checking out the RE Audio XXX's. crazy stuff.
  20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm more into fidelity than competition volume. I'm a bass player and nothing annoys me more than some of the thump systems I've heard.

I want the music to sound similar to my home systems, good low end extension, articulate and quick. The problem with the Miata is space. Right now I'm looking at the Kenwood and Clarion tiny powered subs which would fit in my passenger compartment footwell (the rear deck and trunk aren't options). I'd prefer a small sealed enclosure which the 5 channel amp I have should have no problem driving to the levels I want. I'm happy with the Infinity components and the head unit has three sets of outputs and built-in crossovers and the amp has crossovers too. I'll run mids and highs to the Infinitys and let the sub do the rest.

The Kenwood and Clarion are $250 and plug and play. Building a custom box would be more expensive unless I do it myself. Might be a fun and frustrating way to learn how to work with 'glass. I could build a wood box too.

I just want to extend the low end a bit more than what I have now... nothing earth-shaking.