Car Audio...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Feb 1, 2006.

1. ...I was just wandering how many TB members are also car audiophiles. I am just kind of getting into the 'swing of things' and finding out what I want in a 'system'. I'm finding out that there are vices out there just as expensive as being a bass player! So now I'm confused... Warwick Thumb 5 Bolt-On, or full Boston Acoustics car audio system??

So, I guess just post some pics of your installs, or list some of your mods and/or spec sheets.

2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Is it possible to be a 'car audiophile'? I would think the hum of the engine and rumbles from the road would spoil any listening experience?

I understand people want a decent audio quality in their car, but I don't understand putting thousands of dollars into it, when you are only going to listen to music while you drive around :)
  3. Well, I do alot of driving... Alot, so it makes sense for me to want great cra audio quality. I don't believe in putting multiple thousands into it either, just one or two tops. :D

4. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i used to be a bit of a car audiophile. my old car had a pioneer head unit (which retailed for $1000AUD), a 4x50W rms blaupunkt amp, a 2x150W JBL amp, a 12" boston accoustics subwoofer and sony 6x9's.

I sold my old car, but i kept the audio gear...

But what happened to the audio gear? well; let me tell you that i can't fit a 1x15 and the subwoofer box in the trunk of my new (read: dad's) car; so the audio gear is lent to a cousin and my bass gear takes priority.

Lesson i learned: kids play with car audio, real men have rigs, PA's or home theatres.

Now, i'm not saying i don't like to have a decent system in a car; i just don't want to spend so much money on it ever again when i don't really get anything out of it. atleast i use my rig when i play at church or with my mate's band.
  5. Shameless Plug:

I have some great car audio gear for sale in the "other" section of the classifieds right now. (JL audio, Boston Accustics):D
  6. ZanVooden

Nov 27, 2005
    Peoria, IL
    I spent about 500 total on my car sterio system. I drive a 93' Olds cutlass right now so im holding back on going all out. So far i've put a sony head unit and two 12" MTX subs in the trunk, powered by a 500w sony amp. It all can make some noise from a car that you probably wouldnt expect.
    One thing i've thought about is to wire in a quarter inch jack, and possibly be able to plug my bass right in to the back of my car.
  7. in my van i have.... (all sony xplõd)
    1 x deck
    2 x split 6" and tweeters
    2 x 6"x9"s
    2 x 4"s
    1 x 500 watt amp
    2 x 12" subs.

I have the deck and splits in the front, 6x9s at the very back, 4s about halfway in the back, amp mounted on the small wall dividing front and back, and the 2 subs in a custom box running down one side behind me seat.

I got the deck and splits from my step dad, he had them in his car which was given to me when he got a company car. The deck was the top xplod deck at the time, and the splits to match. His new job was a used car salesman :meh: and he got me a 12" sony sub out of a trade in, which i used for a while but it got cracked... This girl i know was selling 2 new ones in a custom box for cheap so i bought them for $120 (retail at $90 each + a box). The 6x9s i got on sale for $90, and i got the 4"s on sale for $40. The amp i got on sale too, for around $300 ( i think, mayve been $230 :meh:)

I only have 1 sub running at the moment until i get a second amp. But now i have an awsome sounding system, that didnt really cost me a whole lot. Its good with it being in a van too, sometimes when we're out we might smoke some, university cigarettes in it and listen to music or chill out in the back or just leave the door open and use it as a stereo for a party. And it really bumps too, with the second amp running... LOOK OUT :p

And no, i dont drive around with my seat right back, laying down listening to doof doof or hip hop. I blast metal, rock, and king crimson out all the time :D
  8. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I have JL components and a 10w7 with JL amps and a Pioneer something HU. Look up what all that means and how good/bad it is and you'll learn a lot. The best place to learn is probably They have the same stupid debates that get overblown here, but for the most part it's a VERY good place.

You'll appreciate good SQ if you travel a lot. It also is a thing like getting a good bass amp-you won't notice your other system was bad 'till you got a new one and then you'll wonder how you ever survived before.

If I could give any new person a tip, I'd say to get EXACTLY what you want right away otherwise you'll upgrade and change forever. Also, think about trunk space and installation before SPL and looks.
  9. OMG... I've been wanting to that FOREVER!!! I think that'd be the coolest to just be anywhere and be able to practice :D!

I'm actually in the process of scraping some cash together for an all-out Boston setup...
    1 G512" (2ohm)
    1 GT24 (bridged @ 2 ohms)
    1 SL60 component set (pair)
    1 S69 (pair)
    1 Alpine 9851 head.

I really kind of want a single 15" rather than a 12" But a few people have told me a good 15" is gonna run me almost twice of what I can get a G5 for. ($280) Or two Alpine Type R 12"s.. but I think the solo G5 should be enough, I really don't want to HAVE to get my dynamatted, but rather leave it as an option.

10. H/U Alpine CDA9827
    Fronts: Infinity 6.5's reference
    Rears: Infinity 6X9's
    Sub amp: Hifonics XX Herculese
    Sub: RE Audio XXX12"
    Sub box: Custom transmission line enclosure

None of thats in my car right now...but hopefully in a week or two.
  11. dvon1981

Jan 12, 2006
    alwyas go with round speakers not 5x7 6x9, oval speaker have non-linear excursion properties. I really like MB quart speakers myself. Without spending a ton of money i also recomend Alpine HU's
  12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I'm old and boring. I drive around listening to AM talk radio.
  13. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

I'm only 30, but apparently boring. Listening to music in the car is annoying, I can't hear clearly over road noise unless the SPL's are so high I'm doing damage to my hearing. Even if the sound was great, I'd get so distracted by music I wouldn't drive effectively.
    I bought a Radio Shack 40w amplifier so I could hear speech clearly, and I'm done.
  14. Well, hopefully RS didn't rip you off on the "so-called" 40 watt amp :meh: alot of manufacturers including Sony advertise false power ratings to sell more products. (ie. sony, 1200watt amp for $250??? yeah right, get serious.)

15. If you look, they actually rate that amp at like 600, I think, and peak power at 1200. So if its not shown, then thats the dealers fault, not Sonys. Of course, this is provided that were talking about the same amp.
  16. Oh I was just using that as an example. I know that pretty much ALL manufacturers include the peakpower output in the model name. This is why i will only buy CEA (Consumer electronics agreement) certified products. For some reason, Sony has not complied with the voluntary rating act. I just feel bad for some kids that automatically think that they're getting 1200w of power out of it, ya know? I mean, i can't count the amount of times I have wandered back in the automotive department and seen so many kids noodeling with the Sony and Pionier stuff, thinking it's top of the line. They always seem so suprised to find out XPlod isn't top of the line stuff. However, I always stick up for the brand when bashers come around... Theyre not bad speakers for the money, and if you're looking for a good budget system, it may be up your alley.

17. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Plus the power they say it puts out is NOT always what it does. If you do a true test on some budget amps, they won't do what they say they will. RMS or MAX.
  18. Okay, this was bothering be all night, so I grabbed my Crutchfield... I hate it when I can't remember a certain spec from that catalogue.

Turns out, the Sony XPLod XM-2200GTX amp will do 200x2@4ohms, 250x2@2ohms, 500x1 bridged, and peaks out at 400x2@4ohms. So, nowhere in the specs does it ever read "1200" which is clearly printed on the casing.

Attached Files:

19. dvon1981

Jan 12, 2006
    Is that RMS? the manual often lists RMS wattage while they say the amp is 1200 peak