Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Car audio.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Aug 18, 2003.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    I want to replace the stock 6x9's in my car(which are actually as good as my friends pioneers. I've heard that blaunpunkt(sp?) makes very high quality audio eqiup. anyone have any experience with them?

thanks

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I've never had any hands-on experience with them, but I've heard from friends that have with mixed feelings.

The only good thing I see about Blaupunkt's is that they have high power handling. They'll get louder without distorting than most other brands will, but I can tell you that you won't want them to get that loud without ear protection of some sort.

I have yet to find anything as good as my 4-way Pioneer TS-A6880R 6x8's, so I would HIGHLY recommend the Pioneer TS-A6990R 6x9's. They list in Crutchfield for $149.99 a pair. These are the same speakers I put in my truck (except in the larger size, and they're 5 way instead of my 4), and I've heard some REALLY high $$$ audio systems that don't sound as good as those Pioneers alone.

Just for my curious mind, what do you drive?

Here's the link to Crutchfield website (currently offering free shipping!) if you want it: click here

3. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    I will more than likely go with the pioneers, but im just exploring my options.

heres my car.
    [​IMG]

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Nice car....I knew there aren't many cars out there that offer 6x9's straight from the factory!!!

I probably sound like a Crutchfield salesman or something, but I'm just an amazingly satisfied customer. I got awesome customer support when I called (had to wait a bit, but I don't mind for good help), got the stuff in 2 days, and got DETAILED instructions on how to do everything that needed to be done to install my system.

Pioneer is the only way to go, IMHO.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Man, you got 6x8's in the front and 6x9's in the back. Put a MTX 10" in the trunk of that sucker and you'll have one heckuva system!!

6. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Thanks!

with the size of my trunk, i dont think one 10" will do much. Maybe a pair of really good 8's matched with a good 12. what do you think?

7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I was skeptical about exactly what a single 10" would do as well. It really depends on a few things:

1.) How much do you want to spend?

2.) What are you looking for your subs to do? Do you want the neighbors 2 blocks away to hear you bump down the street, or do you want excellent sound in the drivers (and passengers) seat?

3.) The insulation in the rear of the car. If insulation is super thick, even with the subs mounted up close to the back seat it indeed wouldn't do a whole lot. If that is the case, you're really in a fix of what to do.

If you add very many more speakers, you're going to need a lot of watts to power them all, which is going to increase the bump factor and the cost (obviously).

If it were me in your situation and I had the money, I would look for a good pair of 12s. 15s are nice but have entirely too much "rumble" to them, and 10s are nice but don't have enough rumble. To me, nothing sounds better than 12s, but only when you have a large space (like a trunk) to work with. A pair of 12s in a ported box is what I would look for, and the first place I would look is your local pawnshops. Basically any brand of sub will do the trick, but I prefer MTX, Audiobahn, and Rockford. The amp really depends on exactly what subs you get and how hard you want to push them.

Keep in mind, this is all just my opinion and what sounds best to my ears. I have an MTX Thunderform (1 10") under the rear seat of my 2001 F-150 SuperCrew and I could NOT possibly be happier. It won't impress the neighbors, of course unless they get in the passenger seat:D

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Its a bad thing when you get me interested in something:D

If you would prefer to buy new, my recommendation is:

Rockford RFB4122 2x12 hatch box for $349.99, or go with 3 10's and get a

MTX T610X3D for $399.99.

Those are the only pre-made boxes that I would buy, but as I said, this is ONLY MY OPINION.

As for an amp, any brand name class D with ample wattage would be fine.

If you wanted, you could also buy a pre-made box for about $80.00 and load the speakers of your choice in it yourself. Infinity and Sony both have good deals if you buy 2 of their subs right now. 2 MTX 6000A 2x12's will cost you right at $280.00, but you can get 2 Sony's for $139.99.

9. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Not a bad thing at all! I appreciate all the time and effort youve put into this! thanks alot.
    What do you know about fosgate 6x9's? they dont look too bad. Ive decided against the blaupunkt speakers because of their freq. response.

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    This is one of those "heard but not seen" type things on the Fosgates, if that makes sense. I've heard very good things about them, but I've never actually heard them with my own ears. Anything RF makes is usually good quality though. Its also not really a good practice to decide against something based on frequency response. What makes a very big difference in the bass world really makes very little difference in the car audio world. If you're going to get a sub, the 6x8's and 6x9's will be used mainly for mids and highs. Thats the reason I strongly recommend the Pioneer's because they are a 5-way speaker (Woofer, midrange, tweeter, 2 supertweeters) which gives absolutely outstanding high definition, which the Fosgates don't have since they are only 3 ways (woofer, midrange, tweeter). My first thought when I read about the 4-ways I bought was "My God...thats gotta be ear piercing with all that treble!", but the difference is that its not really "treble", its just good quality music. You don't have to max-out the treble on your receiver to hear the drums and guitars, and if in fact you DO crank it, you'll quickly go deaf!

Anyways, its no problem. I enjoy this stuff, and hope to get into doing it for a little bit of extra money in college. I hope I was of some help. I'll be glad to give you more information--just ask!

11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    One last thing and then I'm off to bed. I'll check back tomorrow....

If you decide to go the pawnshop route, keep an eye out for Audiobahn boxes. Good ones are hard to come by, but if by chance you find a good Audiobahn 2x12, latch on. The problem with finding a good one is finding ones with good subs in them. Their subs jump from low quality to super high quality, as do their prices.

Take a look at the Crutchfield 12" sub page so you'll see exactly what sort of prices you're looking at. As you'll notice the Audiobahn's are super high priced, but some of the best around if installed correctly.

Anyways, have fun perusing. If you're like me you'll have a wishlist as long as your leg within a few hours :D