1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Car bomb found in Times Square

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Papazita, May 2, 2010.

1. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    NEW YORK (May 2) - Police found an "amateurish" but potentially powerful bomb that apparently began to detonate but did not explode in a smoking sport utility vehicle in Times Square, authorities said Sunday.

Thousands of tourists were cleared from the streets for 10 hours after two vendors alerted police to the suspicious vehicle, which contained three propane tanks, fireworks, two filled 5-gallon gasoline containers, and two clocks with batteries, electrical wire and other components, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.

"We avoided what we could have been a very deadly event," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said. "It certainly could have exploded and had a pretty big fire and a decent amount of explosive impact."

More here.

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It's time we wake up. People want to kill us.

3. Mortiis

Mortiis Banned

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    It's not a new thing you know.

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Oh, I know...

5. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
    I do not think New York is a nice place to be right now.

6. I was surprised by how little coverage this story received. Last night only CNN was reporting it.
    I'm glad the NYPD handled the situation so well and no hysteria ensued.

7. I'm just glad nothing happened. The most important thing is that noone got hurt or worse. America cried for war after 9/11 maybe this should be another wake up call.

8. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm really not calling this one as a jihadist act, or at least it wasn't done by any of the organized groups. Pretty sure those guys have the whole car bomb thing down pretty solid.

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I believe those guys didnt see the second part of South Parks 200th episode, it wasnt Mahoma (i dont know how you call him in english) it was Santa Claus!

Terrorist fail![SUP]2[/SUP]

10. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Wishful thinking. ZZZZzzzzzz.........

11. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    At least it would have been a pretty explosion.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Actually they have a history of many failures in that regard. The most high profile failure was a failed attempt to bring down the WTC by exploding a car bomb in the basement. I believe the failure was a technical issue. This was a few years before 9/11/01.

13. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Yeah, because it worked out so well last time... :rolleyes:

14. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    All I can say to the cartoon-brained morons who pull stunts like this is:

Get a job... :eyebrow:

15. so.................someone wants to kill us.............so we plan to kill someone else...........and then someone is gonna want to kill us again

didnt we learn the rules in the playground????

!expletive! i say nuke the whales!!

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Might want to wait to see who did it before speculating.

Definitely a terrorist.

Could very well be a local.

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yep. Folks seem to fixate on the stereotypical Middle Eastern muslim terrorist and somehow forget Timothy McVeigh...

18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    We don't know yet, and my first thought was domestic too, but Reuters is claiming that the Taliban in Afghanistan is taking "credit". The bomb is also very similar to a bomb used in an attempt in London in 2007.

Some feel this is an attack for the "South Park" episode that was recently censored on the Comedy channel. But we still don't know for sure.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...20473875597084.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_sections_news

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-bomb-police-investigate-South-Park-link.html