Car buffs! Help me out.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Jun 6, 2003.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    OK, I'm buying my first car and I am completely set on a mid 90's Cadiilac seville( sts or sls i like em both). The specific one im looking at is a 95 SLS in sexy dark blue, I test drove it last night and every thing seemed fine. It is in great condition with 118K miles on it and theyre asking $4500 for it. Good deal? Its loaded: leather, northstar system, digital everything... Very strong running car ( not to mention the 160 on the speedometer:cool: )
    What do yall think?
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  3. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    I hopefully will, im going to talk to my dad tonight about it ( ive got more than half of it). I want it BAD. Im used to the cars my mom has had, lincons and a crown vic, so i really like the feel of bigger cars and the interior room. Its big enough to haul my gear around, which is another plus.
  4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    118k miles? Hope you like repair bills... underneath all that fancy gadgetry, its still a GM. Also, the Northstar takes premium gas. Just a few things you should know. On the plus side, that Northstar engine is a very advanced V8 with great power. Plus it will make you look like a total pimp. More power to you if you get it.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i would NOT buy one of these cars. they're super nice, but one of my friends has a deville concours and it's on its 3rd engine, and it's starting to have problems after 30k.
  6. I would pass. That is alot of miles for a Caddy.
    Remember the more options the more things to break down. If most of the stuff has not broke maybe you will be buying it just in time to pay for the repairs yourself.

You can buy a brand new car for less than $9000 these days. May not be the car you want but why make your first car such a headache.

Either way good luck.

P.S. I worked for GM for 5 years 84-89. The bottom draw of my tool box was filled with recall/look out for/replace this part notices.
    I then worked for Honda for 4 years. I got 3 notices my whole time working for Honda/Acura.
  7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Go find a Caddy with 150,000 miles or more. By that point everything has already been replaced, and youll wind up with a new car at a used car price.
  8. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
  9. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC

this should tell you what cars like that are going for elsewhere.
  10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Have you comparison shopped? In other words, what other car could that same amount of money for the Caddy buy you? You might be able to buy a much newer but less prestigious and smaller car for the same price.

You haven't owned a car before, so you have no idea what it costs in money and inconvenience to keep repairing one. Cadillac parts and labor are not cheap. And gas costs do matter taken over a year's time. Another thing is the cost to insure a Cadillac.

Lastly, having been burned by the same thing myself, I'd say think long and hard before buying a high mileage car. You may have to trade that car in much sooner than you would like. My rule of thumb is trade when repairs start costing nearly as much as the car is worth. Here's an husband just got new spark plugs, a timing belt, new belts and hoses for our '97 Camry. The cost: $1050!!!

High mileage cars have had a lot of wear and things begin to break down: the automatic windows won't open or close, the uphostery splits or stains or fades, the radio/Cd/tape won't work, the antenna won't go up and down, the signal light dies, etc. Little things, but they'll bug you to death and cost way more than you imagine to repair.

That said, if you absolutely love that it and use it to learn the many lessons of car ownership. By the time you buy your second car, you will be much better informed about car matters.
  11. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Thanks all for the replies.

Jason: Sorry to hear about your friends inconvienience, but its not like that has only happened to him and only with a cadillac. Ive heard many of the same stories about every other brand, make and model of car on the road, so that doesnt frighten me.

Gruffest puppy of all : My limit is about what the price of this car is, so used is probably my best bet. I may not end up with this caddy, going to shop around a bit more and see if i can find one cheaper.

Mike N: :D

Ara Punk: thanks for the link.

Bop: Im comparison shopping as i type. Theres lots of other cars for the same money, but none appeal to me the way the caddy does. As for a smaller car, i dont like em, i want to drive on a leather sofa.;) Im used to the lincolns and the Crown Victoria that my mom has owned over the years, so i really like the way bigger cars drive and feel. Plus i need the room for my gear. The car is in immaculate condition, the leather interior is peerfect, no tears or strains. The engine runs and sounds awesome, it literally knocked me back in the seat if i accelerated a bit too hard. Sounds better than my friends camaro too! Not to mention the Northstar system in it, which owns everything else i have tried.

Thanks again for the replys, and keep em coming.:D
  12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I.I., when all is said and done, you gotta buy the car you love. You could probably find what I or others would consider to be a "better" car for the price, but end up hating it and always regretting that you let the Caddy get away.

I think in the end, for many folks, cars are more about emotion than practicality anyway. Just look at the movies "Fast and Furious" and "2Fast and 2 Furious." Those cars are about emotion, not practicality.

Go buy that caddy that you love and never look back...even if it turns out to be a clinker. Of all the cars you buy, your first is one of the most important. Buy the caddy and enjoy.
  13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Certainly a 97 Camry is worth more than $1050.
    I consider belts/hoses/plugs etc to be routine maitenance, which is part of owning a car. No matter how you look at it, it costs $ to drive or old. Either youre getting nickel and dimed to death on an older car, or youre stuck with the payment book on a new car.