1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Car buying catastrophe

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by curbowkid, Aug 23, 2012.

1. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I've been looking to buy my first car for a long time now and I finally thought I found THE ONE. 2002 Lincoln LS. It was my bosses car for all of its life so it was kept in good shape. He ended up trading it in for a new ride. Me, knowing the car inside and out, immediately jumped on the car and bought it. Every time I was in it, I loved it, it ran great and has no issues. Well. The dealership who will remain unnamed, royally ****ED!!! The car up. My boss had just had it inspected a few months before he traded it in. Said dealership did their "clean up" work to get it out and sold. Well they did a **** job and ruined the car for me. They re inspected it and slapped a new sticker on it, removed the sticker stating it took special gas and oil, broke the center dashboard vent panel off and screwed it back in with bolts, one of which we attached to nothing, took appart the driver side door to fix a small issue and in turn broke something inside of it, and fixed it just enough do it would barely work as a functioning door (only issue it had was the drivers side door had a small mechanism inside that broke and needed replacement before my boss traded it in), knocking the window out of its track so it doesn't close right and it whistles when driving. Also we had them unhook the Cd player because it needed to be replaced, no biggie. Well the CD player was still hooked up BUT the drivers side airbag and horn didn't work. Isn't that dandy. The list goes on with issues this thing has now and I have to take it back. Sadly to have all the stuff fixed would cost more than the car is worth. Let this be a lesson to anyone looking to buy a car. Get a carfax, have a legitimate car dealer give it a full diagnostic, and of course give it your own once over before buying. I learned my lesson and will never buy from this crapshop again.

2. therev

therev

Apr 28, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    How do you know that the dealership screwed up those things? Maybe that was why your boss traded the car in.

3. AccolaStudios

AccolaStudios

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    My first car was a used 2002 Acura MDX which I got last October. Had it checked by two seperate mechanics - flawless. Carfax and everything. Nine days after the purchase, the transmission went. Then the engine mounts. And a leak with a $700 fix. All within two months.

4. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    My boss didn't want to trade it in. But he wanted something new, mind you, this was an 02. 10 years old. My boss filled me in on it's entire history of work and even supplied documentation. I trust my boss. There was even a crack in the windshield that wasn't there until said shop got their claws on it

5. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Let me clear something up. The said dealership was a car lot sales place with used cars. Nothing was new.

6. If you wanted it so badly, why didn't you just buy it from your boss directly?

lowsound

7. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    My boss traded it in to get a discount on the car he got from the same dealership. They have a couple fairly new cars there that didn't need to be worked on by their work shop so they were a safe buy. I thought this car would be too being well taken care of. Well they got their hands deep into it and ruined it

Plus I wasn't originally going to get it because of the gas it takes and my budget. But it turned out to be the best car in the area for a good deal

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You didn't notice any of that until after you bought it?

-Mike

9. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    We knew the cd player didn't work. Other than that the stuff we pointed out when we looked it over is all we knew about. We didn't think to test the horn since it was inspected. All of the issues were electronic and require completely removing the whole dashboard. After they did their work is when everything went wrong. All they were supposed to do was disconnect the cd player, fix the door, tack down a piece of plastic under the hood, fix the airbag light and make sure the heat worked. They said they did it. Well they instead completely unhooked the airbag system, inturn disabling the horn and never unhooked the cd player, all of this was done by ripping out the dashboard center vents and drilling holes in it and bolting it back on. They also some how messed up the rear brake lights, the on board electronic status system keeps saying everything's good then beeping and saying it needs washer fluid right after saying its full. They messed up the interior and we found blood in several places inside the car from one of their workers. The door was fully taken apart and jimmy rigged to work but it still rattles and whistles and if you're not careful, the window nearly falls out. Not mind you, this car was in "excellent condition" for it's age. It showed minimal wear. The issues we had them fix, we figured we're quick fixes. Well they snow balled them into bigger, FAR more expensive ones. and dangerous at that.

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

That is NOT a dealership. It doesn't represent anything. It's just a used car lot.

They come in all shades from reputable to keep-one-hand-on-your wallet.

11. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I'm really pissed off about this because not only did they pass it off as being "all set" but they also sold it with a bunch of things wrong with it, not a big deal normally but when one of those things wrong is half the safety system for the driver (me) I have a problem. The attorney general got a call and they totally agreed.

12. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    That's what I meant to say in that very post.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I would be frustrated too, sorry to read of your misfortunes. Do you think you'll be able to get it all fixed and sorted out?

-Mike

14. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Absolutely not. My budget was spent buying it figuring it was in perfect running order like it was. to fix it would cost the same amount in parts and labor by certified people who KNOW what they are doing. To remove the dash board alone and finish the diagnostic would have been about 6-7 hours and 90 bucks an hour. That's BEFORE any repairs are even made. I'm returning the car for a full refund plus a refund for the 20 day tag we payed for AND for the 70 bucks in gas I put in it. I will never recommend them or go back to them.

15. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    That's a real shame. That's why it's always a good idea to take them into a shop to get checked out first.

Alas, I knew that, but chose not to. I recently bought a 2000 Dodge Dakota, thinking it had its issues but was in over all good shape.

Then, I got it home and noticed two new puddles in the driveway. Needed freeze plugs done and the rear main seal was leaking.

Then, ball joints, tie-rods, brakes, an idler pulley and belt tensioner. It still needs a window motor and regulator, speakers all around, a lock actuator, and the abs sensor.

The good news is, when all is done, I'll only have spent about $3500 on the truck and repairs, for something with a nice clean frame, good trans, safety, and reliability.

16. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    That's how it always happens. One thing after the other. But that's not bad for a solid pickup truck

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think this thread proves that there's some sort of cosmic law that says everyone's first car must be crap.

18. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Crap or flawed in some way some where by someone with something. Sorry I got carried away

19. Just out of curiosity, was it a V6 or V8?
    The V6's are basically a fancy Taurus, the V8's are "cats in presidents clothing" :D (My BIL said it ws the worst mistake Ford ever made.)
    My '02 LS8 had a couple of things wrong, but we're getting those looked after. I knew about the tie rod, and the previous owner threw one in. It's been fixed, ( NOT at the dealership,) as well as a rear rotor. Come to find out it has bad rockers that need repair, so we're getting that done soon. My only minor gripe now is the status center. I was pushing the fuel button and the whole assembly went into the dash a bit. Just need to pull it back out.
    It's not perfect, but it has no other issues.....yet.

20. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    She was a cat in presidents clothing haha V8. I wish it was a v6 because it takes pure octane gas (93). So it's an absolute gas killer. But hey NOT MY PROBLEM NOW