1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Car depicts amp and cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kranahan, May 11, 2011.

1. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Have you gotten a new automobile and had it depict what amp and cab you switch to because of the automobile's storage dimensions?

2. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Endorser Jule Amps Monique
    Only in that I could get bigger gear:)

Actually that's not entirely true. Once I bought a small pickup that had a hardcover on the back. The only combo I could find that was shallow enough to fit underneath was an Ashdown C410. Which ended up working out great. I loved that amp.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    New gear just makes me decide which I like more - keeping my car interior in perfect shape or tone. I could fit anything in my chevy aveo, but that's not to say I didn't beat the hell out of it getting huge cabs in there. I put an 8x10, 6x10, 2x15, 8x8, and an old pyramidal fender 4x12 in the back of that car (not all at once ;)). The 4x12 was by far the worst so I only moved it once, but it was surprising how much room could be had in that tiny little tin can.

Now I have a bigger car but no budget for bigger gear :crying:

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    No, but the reverse. After 24 years and 4 Dodge/Chrysler minivans, I wanted to downsize. I brought several vehicles home during the test drive to try to load my basic, small venue bass & PA rigs into them. The only vehicle that "passed" was a Chrysler PT Cruiser with the rear seats removed and the front seat folded flat. So I bought it.

Meh. It's gutless. And I can't haul an extra monitor, an extra power amp, or an extra anything.

I'm gonna buy another Dodge/Chrysler minivan...or maybe one of those new-to-the-US Turkish-built Ford Transit Connects. Except they only have a small 4-banger, so I would be back to "gutless" again.

(sigh)

5. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Yeah. The transit is not long enough. A foot and a half longer then it would be perfect.

6. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    The regular PT Cruisers are pretty slow, but the turbo model has plenty of suds. I use mine to haul gear to gigs instead of the Explorer because it has enough room for my full stack rig, plus the guitarist and his instrument. I came to dislike the Explorer's ability to carry all that plus our alcoholic drummer and his crazy girlfriend.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Trailer hitch, and rent a trailer. Or rent a van. Believe it or not, you might get better coverage for your gear if you got in a wreck than with standard car policy.

8. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    depict?

9. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    I'm guessing the OP meant to use the word "dictate".

10. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    In choosing a vehicle, I make a list of features I want and need. I will ONLY buy wagons, and bass gear is a big part of the reason why:p

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Bass players let the size of their rigs determine the ride, not the other way around.

12. +1, sad but true...

13. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    I am fortunate in that a company I work for and have for a long time always makes a Sprinter Van available to me whenever I need it. Which is great for hauling band equipment.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wagons are a great choice. Sport wagons are an even better choice. :smug: :D I can fit an amazing amount of gear in my Audi S6 Avant, but it's still quite a lot of fun to drive.

My last three vehicle purchases (which spans 18 years - I tend to keep my vehicles for a while) all had one over-riding selection criteria: it must be able to fit my Kay upright. That being said, I managed to field a pretty diverse group. First up was my trusty Toyota Pickup (bought with over 100k miles, sold it with 300k for not much less than I paid for it). Next, and the surprise entry of the group, was a '92 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo. It is a hatchback, and I could fit my upright, two electric basses, a small practice amp, and an overnight bag into that car (no passengers, though). With a few mods, that car was scary fast! And now I have the S6 Avant, which is great because it can haul my gear, it can haul my kids, it can haul four adults in comfort, and it can flat out haul.

If you are a gigging bass player, then yes, I do think that your vehicle choices are going to be influenced by your rig. If you are stuck with a given vehicle, then I suppose that you are going to have to adapt your rig to fit your car. Fortunately, we have better and smaller options than were once available, so you have a greater chance of finding something that will work. If you double on upright, though, you are definitely in the doghouse. Which ain't so bad... :p

15. For me it is my gear that dictates what vehicle I can buy, not the other way around.

16. Im actually on the hunt now for a bigger car. I own a Honda CRX and its no where near big enough to house an ampeg svt610hlf, and skb 6u rack and 2 guitars.

17. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    I took a bass case around with me when I was looking for cars in Grad school. If my case couldn't drop into the trunk it was a no go.

Now I have a Toyota Sienna. I can bring my full rig, a drum kit and grab a bite to eat with the drummer before a gig. I'll never go back to a car if I can help it.

18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I always buy the vehicle to fit my gear needs.

Same as buying a vehicle to fit your family. You don't decide how many kids to have based upon your vehicle, do you?

19. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Cruel irony

20. I deliberately buy small cars so "Sorry; I can't bring the PA and pick the drummer up on the way - only enough room for me and my rig".