1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Car for sale: Only 1 Lady owner...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Oct 4, 2008.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I've seen this in advertisements as a positive point when a car is being sold. Since generally girls are involved in fewer accidents don't drive the crap out of their cars and so forth .

I'm currently living with three girls and we ended up talking about cars one night. One of them never gets her car serviced. One time she got a puncture and only noticed when the tyre was actually slapping up against the window. Another one drove her car to the point that the clutch catastrophically failed completely ignoring any indications something was wrong. I don't think either of them would check oil/water levels etc at all.

There was couple of other similar stories as well. When I heard this I was pretty much like ---->:eek:

While guys are more likely to be in accidents and give cars abuse, any guy that I know would also preform basic checks (tyre pressure oil etc) and get the car serviced when it's due one.

All that being said I do know a guy who drove a VW polo to near destruction (he needed the car but couldn't really afford the running costs and it got to a stage where he didn't really give a crap) and my sister would keep her car in good running condition.

All I'm saying when I hear that a women was the previous owner of a car it's not going to have a positive sway on my decision on whether to buy it.

2. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Haha, I hear ya. I'm almost afraid to leave my car home this summer cause my mom and sister would probably end up driving it! They both ride the clutch like crazy :(

3. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I think you could sum it up often by : no abuse, no maintenance.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Every machine needs maintenance

5. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Of course.

6. You live with 3 girls and you were talkin about cars.

7. Lololololol

8. It's actually more often women who have road rage compared to men they say, and I agree. Have you ever been a passenger while a girl drove? In a lot of my experiences, they get raged from the smallest things, scary stuff.

9. In the late 80's my brother was given a mint 60's Ford Falcon Futura owned by our neighbours. Since the car was purchased, it was only driven by the wife once a week, less than a mile to do groceries, and the odd trip to the doctor's office. The husband washed and waxed the car every Saturday that he he could, and took care of mechanical...it was a dream.

Needless to say, my bro drove it into the ground in less than 3 years.

I love hearing about little old lady cars up for sale, they are usually a great buy...they drive 'em short distances, and really slow.

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland

Well after hearing endless hours about dresses, make-up, fake tan, and lots of other rubbish it was a welcome relief.

11. ahkiatt

ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Singapore
    Why talk when you guys could be doing stuff?

12. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    You know it should be on that list.

13. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    "Doing stuff" in this case is frowned upon in most cases and places for the sheer fact that incest isn't always best...:meh:

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    :eyebrow: Why are you talking about incest? Is there something you need to get off your chest?

15. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I believe GE means within roommates. It's usually a bad call.

(at least I think that's what he means).

16. That or he lives with his sisters....lol

Actually the NTSB (National Traffic and Safety Board) released a report that proves women are worse drivers than men. According to the report women have 3 to 4 wrecks to a mans every one----the kicker is Men tend to have fatal accidents instead of fender benders. In the last 8 years my wife has had three accidents (granted none of them were her fault and not much damage was done headlight, bumper, quarter panel) but in retrospect i have not had so much as scratch on my vehicles. My wife checks her oil and tires all the time (as both her father and i trained her that way)

long way around i don't think it is a selling point to buy a car previously owned by a woman. i think it all boils down to how people were taught to deal with their vehicles....

and i'm the kid that wrapped his hot wheels and match box cars in tp before putting them away in my storage container....lol

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me, when buying a used car, I look to see that it was maintained, not who owned it.

My girlfriend has been driving with the check engine light on for about a month. Her roommate has had one for over a year since she impacted a guard rail while texting her ex boyfriend and ripped half her bumper off. No wonder her check engine light is on.

My girlfriend is afraid when her engine is in the 3000 RPM range, and then turns around and complains that there's no acceleration. I explain that her car redlines at 5500 RPMs and is perfectly safe until then, but no, 2000 RPM is plenty for her. :atoz:

18. Kind of like used gear for sale mentioning it was used in a church or christian band. I see those all the time and think...whaa??

19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I bought a 6 year old saturn that only had one previous owner, a 60some year old lady. The car only had 16,000 miles on it. And it was in great condition, until I rear ended someone on the freeway.