1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Car guys - Check Engine Light ???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Dec 28, 2011.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    A couple of days ago the "Check Engine Light" in my 97 Civic came on.

The manual says it has something to do with environmental controls and from the reading I have been doing some people just get the codes to the light shut off.

I intend to get the issue causing the Check Engine Light to come on addressed. However, I am just wondering how much of a critical issue it is. Do I have to get it fixed right away?

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Most auto parts stores will check the codes for free and tell you exactly what's causing it to come on. It could be as minor as a loose fuel cap.

3. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    not a certified mechanic but if it says its for environmental controls that may be something with emissions, like you catalytic converters or exhaust sensor, in which case not its not a critical issue, you'll just end the world a little but sooner.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I was hoping I could be that lucky but its not the gas cap.

5. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    what just happened I only clicked post once...

6. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    If it's running ok, then you're probably good for a bit. Have Autozone pull it and they'll tell you what it means. That old......probably the O2 sensors. Not a terribly hard thing to change out, depending on the location and your general ability to work with tools.

7. Is it running rough? Does it idle low then go real high in surges? Did you just fill the gas tank?

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Things that have made my Check Engine light come on:
    - bad gas cap
    - bad O2 sensor
    - bad cat

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, I have not had a tune up in awhile, but its running fine. Tank is less than half and no issues with idling.

10. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    there should be a 3 or 4 digit code associated with that light. Do you know what the error code is ? If not, do you have an Autozone near you ? They will scan the car's computer and tell you what the code is. Get that code(s) and report back to us.

11. Get the code read, that's how the OBD2 system is designed to aid troubleshooting and emissions system performance in general.

Peace,
    Greg

12. Get the code read.

You have no information to go on without doing that.

Once you have actual information, proceed.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Exactly. You can't tell anything without the fault code(s). Guessing what's wrong is just a waste of time.

14. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    ^^ what he said!

15. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Get code read... got it. Up in Canada we have no 'Autozone'.

Guess I'll have to bring it in to a mechanic. $$$$

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Don't screw around with repairs. Just go buy a new 4X4 pickup truck and be done with it.

-Mike

17. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i was once told to not worry about my check engine light, because the car was running normal as far as i could tell. turned out she was leaking transmission fluid, and gave out on my when i was in the middle of a parkway.

get it checked..

18. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    Any auto parts store should have an OBD2 reader they'll plug in for free. Depending on the car it could in fact be a serious issue, so I'd google up a local parts place and get it read soon. But no need to jump right to the mechanic, who'll charge you $60/hour to do what the parts guy will do for free. :)

19. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    To be honest, I don't think a parts guy is going to do it for free up here... I'd be pleasantly surprised. There are ads on CL with mobile mechanics who charge $20 to have the code read.

20. I have a 2005 Mazda MPV and the light came on last year. Took it into the shop, and when they ran the diagnostic it turned out it was the system telling me it was time for a firmware update. What a racket.

-jb