1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Car guys - Check Engine Light ???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Dec 28, 2011.

1. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    I should get mine checked

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    On the plus side, you know for sure the "Check Engine" Light is working.

3. there should be a "check engine light" light...

no, my name is not Sheldon :smug:

4. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    I love reading these theads.

My advise...take it to the dealer and pay the hours diag and have them do the repair. There's nothing on your car a really good dealer tech hasn't seen hundreds of times. Plus thier factory trained and have all the special tools factory or otherwise to get your car fixed right the first time.

5. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    How do you know this? It can look OK but still cause this issue.

6. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    For $20 or $40 bucks, whatever, go have the oil changed again. God knows that the place may have done several shady things like using the wrong oil, cross-threading the cap, never replaced filter, etc.

Go somewhere reputable and have it changed, then check the oil every week. If you are losing oil to the tune of a quart a month or even 3 months, you have a bigger problem. Car engines tend to like having the right amount of oil to keep them comfy. Deprive them of their comfort and they give you the cold shoulder.

7. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    Awesome advice, if you enjoy squandering money.

8. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    If it ain't under warranty, it ain't going to the dealer. Ask around....it probably isn't hard to find a good honest mechanic amongst all the people you know. If you're fairly handy with tools, a lot of things you can do yourself. I've replaced a bunch of parts on my truck and saved myself a metric crap-ton of money by doing it myself.

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Depends on the code.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Unless it's under warranty (and sometimes even then, depending on the policy), you might as well go to prison, find the biggest guy around, drop trou, and bend over, because you still probably won't get screwed as hard as you would having your vehicle repaired at the dealer garage.

As others have said, it should be pretty cheap to take the car to an independent garage and get the code read. More often than not, it's just a sensor or something minor.

11. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    It's been 2 months since that 'oil change'? which is unfortunate. Having to add 3 litres of oil in 2 months, I'm not sure of what the oil capacity for that model is but it almost seems to me that at that garage, they either drastically under-filled it, or didn't fill it at all.

Personally, I'd call them, reasonably explain that it is evident that the car was not filled and the result 'mishap', and at least ask them for a free diagnostic reading. They probably won't buy it, but I would at least inform them and see.

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    What he said.

I used to work at a auto shop... at time we charged $60 a hour for labor... there was a dealer that brought cars to us all the time (mostly when they couldn't figure something out.) They paid us $80 a hour for labor, they charged customer $120...

Yeah, same guys you would pay $60 a hour were working on your car, but you paid $120 to the dealer... HAHA

I miss working at a auto shop, my life was so much simpler back then.

13. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Just in case someone hasn't already said this, go to a mechanic and have them scan for the fault codes. It's a waste of time trying to guess what the problem is when you can simply have the OBD scanner tell you what's wrong.

:rolleyes::bag:

Seriously, though. Don't assume that just because the car seems to be running fine that it's okay to ignore it. The engine control unit (ECU) takes input from various sensors and uses this information to make real time adjustments to the fuel delivery and spark timing. If this process is compromised, due to a bad sensor, you can have numerous problems with your engine and not know it.

-decreased performance
    -lower fuel economy
    -very much increased pollutants in emissions
    -fouling or build up of contaminants in engine or exhaust system
    -possibility of pre-ignition damage to pistons or other engine components

Get it fixed.

14. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    if a motor has a oil leak, it does not mean you will always see a puddle or stain on your regular parking place.

Check your oil after filling and then check it every 2weeks.
    does not matter if your still in range. Need to know the actual level of the oil and if your losing a liter to a half liter in 2 weeks...
    in 2 months the oil will get very low.

Slow valve cover leaks can just run across the motor and wont be obvious to the average looker.
    changing the oil doesnt magically fix leaks.
    And screaming at a oil changer wont fix leaks either.
    you have to monitor the system yourself, and know what a half liter or liter drop looks like on the oil level dip stick.

Otherwise codes will tell you what conditions exist in the system, but they wont always tell you "Change this exact part"
    you still have to know what parts do what, and which ones could cause the code to exist.

Also any bad computer sensor, or simply a unplugged one, will cause the engine light to go on. so sometimes your lucky and its just a unplugged wire. or that valve cover oil leak is mucking up a connector.
    Likewise corrosion is electronics biggest enemy in a car. So a sensor could be fine, it just has a bad connection from corrosion, mainly caused by water moisture. pull the plug and look for brown/black tarnish or powdery green/yellow corrosion and clean it off.

Also a chilton or haynes manual will tell you recommended repairs at certain mileages.
    So if you do pull a code, and start taking guesses
    the manual might help identify known time lengths for when certain parts start to fail.

otherwise i would take this question to a Honda forum, but they will ask for a code too. So you can buy a code reader for 50 to 120$.
    can be good to have since friends can use it too. paying some dude 20 bucks on craiglist aint too bad either. Since shop rates are 60 to 80$ an hour.

I dont know why people are tripping on a 20$ fee. If you had a code tester just sitting in your garage. Does this now mean your duty in life is to drive around and give away free code readings??

15. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Well, all I can say is if you bring your chrysler/jeep or dodge vehicle to my dealership with a check engine light or other problem and I end up working on it you'll get my 25+ years of experiance the last ten of which have been CJD exclusivly. That includes all the factory training I've been exposed to as well as all the factory specialty tools as well as access to factory engineers if necessary. Sure, I'm going to charge you to diagnose your car which starts at 40 bucks and if for some reason I can't diag in that hour you'll be contacted with my test results so far and where I think we need to go. After it's diag'ed well make and estimate for the repair which will likely not be anymore labor time then any independant shop, with a warrenty. Am I going to look your car over to see if there's any other problems that need addressing? Sure. That's how I make money and you keep your car in working order. You'll get an estimate on the repairs and it's your choice to do with it what you want. Or......you can summarily reject all of that and take it to any jo blow independant shop or even better get advise from a parts guy at autozone and take you chances that you can fix it right the first time without waysting a bunch of money on missdiagnosed problems and cheap aftermarket knock off parts. Your choice.
    PS, I'm not really addressing the OP, mostly everybody who thinks all dealers are a rip off. And I don't mean to denagrate the really good independent shops and mechanics.

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Oh nah, they are not bad mechanics, I've worked with really good mechanics from dealers when i worked at auto shop... I am not sure how it is everywhere else, but dealers here charge a lot for labor. Which is understandable due to them being specialized in the product.

I am just saying, don't write off the independent auto shops. :)

We went back and forward with dealers when i worked at the shop. Any time we needed something, parts guys and mechanics at the dealer would help us out, in return, when they needed we would work on cars they couldn't.

17. Raven2k360

Raven2k360

May 21, 2007
    Denver, CO
    V-TEC is Honda's variable valve timing setup in their newer motors. IIRC, it usually kicks in at higher RPMs and helps power output of the motor while still making it run economically.

VTEC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

GET

THE

CODE

CHECKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dangit, you can waltz into any parts store and buy your own code reader for $50 or less, and then you'll have it for future use. Who cares if no one will read it for free?? Buy the dang tool and do it yourself - they come with directions! I CANNOT understand why people refuse to get real information that they can act on!!

19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I'm pretty sure it's just a loose lug nut, Bro. ;)

20. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    People are not yelling at me are they?

I promise to do right by this car and treat her right. Its the best car I've owned and I intend to care of it.